Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD-9 Carburetor Modifications?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Mercury
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: WD-9 Carburetor Modifications? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a WD-9 that starts very well on gas but it runs very fast (1500+ RPM) which is not normal. It has been this way as long as I have had it so I decided to clean up a spare carburetor and swap them. When I took the old carburetor off the mystery was solved. It appears that the air valve (round disk) and spacer have been removed as well as a couple of other modifications. I then decided to dig deep into my spare parts and found two more WD-9 carburetors that have had the same modification. It appears that this was done to make the engine run faster and possibly start easier on the gas side. I did install my refurbished carburetor and now the tractor runs much slower on the gas side (normal). Is anyone familiar with this modification? I am wondering if it was done many years ago by a local IH mechanic in my area since I have several carburetors on hand with the same modification.

WOpp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: WD-9 Carburetor Modifications? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On one of mine that disk has been cut down about 25%. An old mechanic around here said he did lots of them to speed them up a bit. He said it was recommened to him by IH dealership.

red bearing

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: WD-9 Carburetor Modifications? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm having issues with my carb...looking for a rebuild kit..do you know where I can find one that is reasonable..thanks

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: WD-9 Carburetor Modifications? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

red bearing wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:00:09 01/31/13) I'm having issues with my carb...looking for a rebuild kit..do you know where I can find one that is reasonable..thanks

There isn't really a kit. You can buy a needle and seat and the gaskets from OEM or Steiners. IIRC their prices are pretty much the same. Once you get these things apart there is nothing to them. I just shot some carb cleaner through mine and it worked perfect (as designed).

55 50 Ron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: WD-9 Carburetor Modifications? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems I remember you may be in Minnesota. Drop me an email. If we are neighbors, maybe I could stop for a visit. Would be fun to talk tractors, specifically the WD-9.

red bearing

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WD-9 Carburetor Modifications? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sflem849 what were the symptons?that made you decide
to take carb apart? thanks

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: WD-9 Carburetor Modifications? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought my MD after it sat in a shed for A LONG time. I think it just ran really crappy so I took it apart and sprayed it out. That was back in 04 so I have kind of forgotten what the exact symptoms were. It is still kind of touchy to get started, but from what I have read that is pretty normal.

Red Mercury
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WD-9 Carburetor Modifications? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting. I suspect that it IH may have been recommending that. In the carburetor I took off of the tractor, it also had the metering nozzle shortened and the small orifice in the cast iron body plugged. It worked well just faster than the normal full throttle RPM rating. It kind of worried me that a connecting rod was about to part ways with the crankshaft.

Red Mercury
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WD-9 Carburetor Modifications? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agreed with sflem849. I think Steiners sells a kit, but I doubt that it has every tiny part that an automotive kit has. The parts that are available all likely come from the same company so you won't find much difference in pricing. All of the major parts for that carburetor are expensive. I disassembled the carburetor completely and soaked it in Tyme carburetor cleaner for a couple of days to remove any gum or varnish. I bought the gaskets from Steiners for $15 and a fiber washer ($5???) from CNH for the inlet fitting. The carburetor is really simple and a kit is probably a waste of money if everything inside looks good. Most of these carburetors just need a good cleaning and a careful inspection.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: WD-9 Carburetor Modifications? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The thing is there aren't that many parts needed. A kit for one of these is only 5 parts because it doesn't have high speed and low speed jets and all that stuff.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.