Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to tractors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Dotson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a 1955 Farmall. Would like some info on starting this tractor. It has a lever to engage the starter. The ignition switch has three positions, and the engine will turn over in all positions. Have not put gasoline in the tank yet. Also, noticed everyone talking about A letter following the word farmall. How do you know what modle? Looked up the serial number to find out the year. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

AL Moyer in Pa.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We like pictures, helps

Matt E.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A photo would tell all but I think you'd have to make a few more posts first. Any chrome numbers on the side of the hood? What does the serial number and prefix say? Narrow front or wide? I suspect you might have a 300 or 400 if a narrow front. There are some pretty good detectives on this site, give us a little more to go on then everyone can give you some pointers on how to get it going. Once you find out what it is, get a manual for it. It will tell you everything you need to know to get it running and how to operate it.

Good luck!

Farmallhal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Post a few photos of the tractor and you will get a wealth of information in short order. Your description doesn't point to any specific model for me except 1955 is one year late to be a letter series model, Hal.

James Dotson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are some photos.

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats a Farmall Cub. the 3 position switch is your light switch, more than likely, but who knows whats been changed. You should have one switch to pull out for the ignition, but like I said who knows whats been changed!

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John M wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:19:21 01/31/13) Thats a Farmall Cub. the 3 position switch is your light switch, more than likely, but who knows whats been changed. You should have one switch to pull out for the ignition, but like I said who knows whats been changed!

That push-pull switch SHOULD be right next to the light switch.

James Dotsonj

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it is next to the light switch. It looks just like the choke lever. What position does the ignition switch need to be in?

James Dotson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The switch I'm talking about is a key switch.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the tractor has been modified (cobbled) over the years and is FAR from the original and correct set up. Detailed pictures of the Dash, serial number (plate on front steering housing), and some other info such as alternator or generator and 12 or 6 volt would also help. That tractor should have originally been red; not the yellow/white combo. Yellow/white came along in the mid 60's on a totally new new body style. That is also the incorrect seat for that tractor, so if you don't like it, that's why.

FYI, the choke lever is opposite the start lever and looks the same as the start lever. If you'll follow the linkage from the carburetor choke, you'll see where it goes. But like I said, who knows what has been changed!

We're here to help you!

Last edited by RTR on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
James Dotson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm at work, but do know the tractor is 6v.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say you just bought it.....but have you heard it run? If you bought it non-running and it's been sitting for several months; you'll need to prime the oil pump first. Don't want to ruin a good tractor. The folks at www.farmallcub.com (forum) will be able to help you leaps and bounds too. That is all that site specializes in whereas here only a few of us have Cubs.

IH fan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Cub is the smallest of the "true tractors" made by IH at the time. Anything smaller was a garden tractor type. It should be about 15HP with a 4 cylinder water cooled engine and a 3 speed transmission. The starter pull rod is a loop on the right and the choke should be a similar loop on the left with a rod to the carburator. Ignition switch should be a button pull switch. It would have been red when new, but probably was re-sold later by a dealer when Cubs were painted yellow and white... dealers always seem to think the latest paint scheme makes them look newer than they really are. Looks like your tie-rod is bent and probably has too much "toe-in"... that can be easily remedied by straightening the rod and should have a slight toe-in after that. Being that they are basically built like a small "farm tractor", they were a pretty sturdy little tractor.[/u]

James Dotson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New to tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

James Dotson wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:20:19 02/01/13) Thanks.

No problem James. Glad to help! If you have any other questions I can be reached at ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com. I'll also give you my phone number if you want it. Just send me an email and I'll shoot it to you. I've got the service manuals, owners manuals, different variations of wiring diagrams, etc. for the Cub and have several Cubs myself; so I should be able to answer just about ANY question you may have. I don't mind sending you anything you need or guiding you through something.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.