Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

351 GMC V-6 in a grain truck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J. Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: 351 GMC V-6 in a grain truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have an early 1970's GMC truck in the shop. It had bent push rods on one side. It was a repeat problem. We put the new push rods in and started the truck, runs good now BUT the side with the bent push rods does not have near as much oil going to the rocker arms as the other side. Question how do the rocker arms on each side oil and if it is metered where is it metered? We have an older Truck manual but no schematic of the oiling system. Thanks in advance for any help/ Any one have a GMC shop manual that could maybe copy some pages? J.

duane o.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 GMC V-6 in a grain truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not familiar with that engine specificslly but maybe its like a 302 oliver with hollow rocker arm bolts? Its possible that there is a chunk of casting in the oil gallery to that side of the head causing this problem

oliver fan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 GMC V-6 in a grain truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FYI I don't know if it helps, but the oil pressure is what controls the governor on those engines, There is a oli line that attaches to the lower right side of the caburetor. To much oil pressure will slow/cut back on action of the carb. so the engine will not over rev.

OLarry from MD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 GMC V-6 in a grain truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From a chilton truck manuel it appears to show the oil to the right rockers comeing from the rear camshaft bearing and the left side comeing from the front camshaft bearing.Like duane says below through a hollow bolt.

BANDITFARMER
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 351 GMC V-6 in a grain truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You may need to replace the rocker arms. If the rocker arms are wore enough you wont get oil through the push rods to oil the rockers or valves and the valves will stick and bend the push rods. Hope this helps. Bandit

Carlton Grambo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 351 GMC V-6 in a grain truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

J.,I know a little about the old V6 engines by GMC. They can pull a good size fuel oil truck all day to different customers. But in the end they did become antiques. GM in about 1975 or so went with Chevy engines for the money to build one and not the other. My father in law drove a V6 for years until the last truck he had a 366 V8. that is still running around the country with and old 1800 gallon tank on it. The others are history. What I am trying to say if you are just using it for hobby farm or there about, good old truck. Any bigger and it will eat your wallet. By the way my father in law will probaly smack me from the grave for writing this. He love those old V6s that much.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 351 GMC V-6 in a grain truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

J. Schwiebert wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:45:39 01/31/13) Have an early 1970's GMC truck in the shop. It had bent push rods on one side. It was a repeat problem. We put the new push rods in and started the truck, runs good now BUT the side with the bent push rods does not have near as much oil going to the rocker arms as the other side. Question how do the rocker arms on each side oil and if it is metered where is it metered? We have an older Truck manual but no schematic of the oiling system. Thanks in advance for any help/ Any one have a GMC shop manual that could maybe copy some pages? J.

John, I just coped this from a Motor Truck Repair Manual. If you'd like more, let me know.
Sorry, I got it upside down.
Try this again.

Last edited by J.Wondergem on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
OLarry from maryland
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 351 GMC V-6 in a grain truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats the same one i have.

ken77
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: 351 GMC V-6 in a grain truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So it is possible the rear cam bearing spun causing the no oil problem.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.