Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warming up a cold tractor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LonM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We run two 3020 diesels every day for feeding cattle, both have tank heaters for the engine and both have synchro transmissions. They start fine, but the hydraulics really whine and they steer hard when it is this cold out (-20 F). Today for one tractor I put two hydraulic tips on one hose and plugged each end into the SCV and just let it circulate oil through the system while I loaded the feed wagon. This seems to help. Does anyone have any other "tricks" to get that hydraulic system warmed up more efficiently (outside of a heated shop)? Thanks for any discussion!
LonM

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back when I worked as service manager for a JD dealer circulating the oil with the scv with a hose with a male coupler tip on each end to get hyd oil warm so a leak would show up better is the way I did it also. Doesn't take a long time in warm weather for oil to get hot.

chevytaHOE5674
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a magnetic heater that I stick on the sump of my hay feeding tractor that I plug into the same timer as the block heater. Really helps on the cold days.

Fred2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Deere made a heater that screwed into the transmission case for that need to check with your dealer

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fred2 wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:52:45 02/01/13) Deere made a heater that screwed into the transmission case for that need to check with your dealer

The part AR98518 is no longer available. Contact your local John Deere dealer for other options.

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On our new 6170 JD loader tractor the cold weather package heats engine ,trans and water which makes it start easy plus the hydraulics work easier.The only problem is when I first got it it would trip the circuit breakers but they fixed it.So I am sure it must use more amperage than with just one function.Plugging them in an hour or more is a lot easier on them but the hydraulic oil at 20 below can be real slow for a while.The oil in the loader cylinders takes a while to get it into system.

Gundoctor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How about SYNTHETIC Hydraulic Oil. I have never use it but we keep getting ads for Amsoil. Would this be the answer?? Would this help???
Has anyone put this in your tractor???

I would like to know!!!!! It was -30 here last week!!

David Pidgeon
New Haven, Vermont

48farmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just an idea-
Would something like this work for you? I'm not sure where/if there's a place to put it on your particular tractor.
Untitled URL Link

LonM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't know if Hy-Gard or its equivelant is available in synthetic or not but I'll look into it. External heat pads look like a good option...
LonM

tomstractorsandtoys1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have the same issue on our 3020 that is used on our tmr mixer.The hose idea is the best I have found. We tried a dipstick heater but it did not work.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might try Low-Viscosity Hy-Gardô

Cooney Minnie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Deere recommended the hose trick to warm the oil before using a hydrapush spreader in the dead of winter....

Johndeere39h
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That part AR98518 there is one on eBay right now for 21.99 with free shipping just did a search for it by that part number if that helps any?
Jeff

Fred Gross
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Warming up a cold tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Regarding the Amsoil synthetic hydraulic oil. I run it in my JD 2210 CUT. The manual calls for either low or hi viscosity hygard depending on the temps. When i did my 200 hour oil change I switched over to Amsoil ATH and have been using it ever since. The 2210's power steering and hydraulics work great even at -10 or below and I notice no difference in performance other then it works better when it's cold. If I was using a tractor every day in subzero weather I would definitely run synthetics throughout.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.