Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6 volt charging system questions.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimBinWV
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: 6 volt charging system questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the 49 VAC I just got a positive ground system? If I want to charge the battery on a trickle charger, do I hook it up "backwards"?

1031D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 6 volt charging system questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it is positive ground. You would just hook positive to positive and negative to negative. There's not really a backwards.

TimBinWV
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 6 volt charging system questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, 1031D. I guess the battery I have is just junk, as I had it on a trickle charger for 24hrs and it shows no sign of taking a charge. Battery looks new, One more question. Will it hurt a 6 volt battery to charge it with 12 volts-low amps to try to get it recharge?

j hikemper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 6 volt charging system questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tim , probably should search archives about this ,i have jumped 6volts with 12 many times ,i would not give up on battery yet ,, i have 4 chargers around here ,all came from auction /yardsales , probably ought to toss 3 of them ../after readin g horrorstories of fires .. the poor chargers work only on the low amp side like a triklle ,,

1031D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 6 volt charging system questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim, chances are your trickle charger may not "see" any voltage in that battery and may not charge it. I would put it on a regular charger, check the water, and let it charge. May take several days. I've had batteries completely flat line and my dad thinks everything is negative ground so he has actually charged batteries backwards on me. On my VAC's when it's BS cold out I jump 12V right to the starter using a set of cables with a starter switch in it. Once they warm up the 6V is sufficient to start.

C. Amick
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 6 volt charging system questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you are not using the tractor during the winter months, I would pull the battery out and bring it inside and charge it ocassionally. The cold seems to be tough on those 6 volt batteries.

Duner Wi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 6 volt charging system questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a battery that was stone dead but looked brand new. Would not take a charge. Hooked it to another battery for a few minutes and then put the charger on. Has lasted for a few years now.

Jerry W
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 volt charging system questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Iypically charging a 6v battery with a 12v charger won't hurt but it kind of matters how low is low on your voltage selector. You could possibility 'boil over' your battery if you left it on there long enough. I would try it and see what happens after a little bit and keep an eye on the amp gauge.

Jerry

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.