Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What year b's had different hoods?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a 1945 b thy we are redoing. I bought a good online which I thought was for my tractor but i do t think it is.. It"s an all fuel hood.. What years did they change the hoods as what are the differences?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There were 4 different styled hood part #s. Your '45 AF hood part # is AB3092R sub for AB2750R

Last edited by Tx Jim on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
jd50A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Based on what I could find, the late styled "B" was offered in gas only.or all fuel.. Could not find any mention of gas only until then. Checked J.R. Hobbs Letter series book and Mr. Thinkers Almanac. Assuming they are correct. Parts book shows at Ser. # 201000 both hoods were available, gas & all fuel. prior to that no specific mention. I would think it should have an all fuel hood. I have my Dads 45 "B" bought new it is all fuel. Jim, what part of Ohio are you from? I am east of Cle.

JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a new hood and here is a pic of it.. The old one was trash and has been scrapped so I don"t have it to look at it.. This one needs some work but its not terrible.. Anyway when we were going through parts I found this other piece and it doesn"t match up with our hood we have now.. Serial number on my tractor makes it a 45. Did someone have a wrong hood on this? Or did I not get the right one? Also we are south of Canton in Carroll county... Here are the pics

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hood in your photo doesn't have enough holes. There should be one more hole for the radiator neck.

Last edited by Tx Jim on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:21 am; edited 2 times in total
B-maniac
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well before s/n #201000 (somewhere in 1947) they had the battery up under the hood. After they had a box seat with the bat under seat. The hood you are showing , aside from being in two pieces which they weren't , is off a '47 or newer with bat under seat. Why would you buy a cut up hood? I assume they sent you a front portion with a good uncut exhaust hole to weld onto the rear portion to make one complete as they did not come that way.And what about those makeshift bolt tabs welded on there? Guess I don't understand. Not only do you not have the correct hood for yours but not even a good sellable hood for what it does fit. Live and learn I guess.

JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got it cheap and it came with a good gas tank I needed I can weld in the patch and fix it up and set it in a shelf for later or sell it cheap.. The piece with the tabs are from the old hood that was on it..

JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one more piece that goes with it..it has the radiator
hole.. But I agree it's not the right hood.. Guess I'm searching
again

B-maniac
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to mention the battery hoods used an entension to the rear of the hood.

B-maniac
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can get the muffler hole spacing correct without a (try it out first) tractor then you should be able to get good $$ for it as there weren't many all fuel late "B",s built. Good luck.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

B-maniac wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:52:43 02/02/13) Forgot to mention the battery hoods used an entension to the rear of the hood.

Since you mentioned the fact I remember battery in front of the dash but I see no parts breakdown in the catalog for these parts. I thought I was fairly decent at looking up parts in JD's catalogs but I guess not.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The photos below show the all-fuel hood on "John B" our 43B.

photo IMG_3507.jpg

photo IMG_3508.jpg

There are three holes in the front for the radiator cap, muffler, and air stack.

photo IMG_3509.jpg

The top of the hood extends out past the grills and has the hole for the radiator cap.

photo IMG_3510.jpg

The same style hood is on "Uncle Earl" our 39B and "Lazarus" our 40B.

Hope this helps.

MJ in the UK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: What year b's had different hoods? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi James, spent many a hour looking down the bonnet of a 1942 BN here in the UK. A friend of mine still hoes 150 acres of sugar beet with a 1944 BN with a locally made mid mounted hoe. Thought to be the last working John Deere in the UK to be brought in on the wartime Lease Lend scheme. MJ

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.