Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad day for my 8N Update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hec In Omaha
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Bad day for my 8N Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Howdy All,

This morning I started trouble shooting my starter. I bypassed the solenoid with a set of jumper cables and got nothing. So then I removed the starter and tested off the tractor. It barely spun over then quit altogether. So I bought a new starter and installed it this afternoon. I hit the starter button and the motor turned over so fast I couldn't believe it! In the 10 years I have owned this tractor I have never heard it crank over so fast! Not even with the plugs out! So then I grabbed a spark plug to see if I had spark. I hit the starter button and quickly shocked myself with the plug wire! I had plenty of spark. So I put the plug wire back on the plug, pulled the choke out half way and hit the starter. It started right up! It is even 32 degrees and the tractor was not on life support with block heaters. I guess the front mount distributor got wet from the melting snow becuase I didn't do anything to it. It probably just dried itself out.

thanks to all who helped with suggestions. I am back in business!

Hec

Bob Purinton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day for my 8N Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure you got all the proper gaskets in that distributor.
I got a front mount '48 and I have no trouble with water in the distributor.

Colin King
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day for my 8N Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great news! Thanks for the update.

Colin, MN

Hec In Omaha
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day for my 8N Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob,

I have all the cork gaskets in the distributor. I am thinking of installing a canvass grill cover to keep snow from being sucked in. Maybe that will help.

Hec

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day for my 8N Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hec, I run my 2N (same front mount dizzy) all winter long pushing snow
with a front blade. That is, when we have snow. LOL
Two years ago we got dumped on, and it ran for two or three days straight.
My brother and I took turns driving.
Never had a problem with moisture getting in the dizzy when running.
I guess my point is, if you've got good gaskets in there, the dizzy may not
have been the problem to begin with.
Could have simply been a stall from a dropped clutch or similar.
I would be hesitant to cover the radiator completely without a temp gauge.

duey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day for my 8N Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems like the snow will come up from below if it can't come in the front... My 2N didn't like snow, deep snow, that is.

Dad used to say that an Oliver on steel wheels would go through so much snow it would push the operator off the seat.... I don't know 'bout that, but it makes a good visual.... Smile

BudKaiser
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bad day for my 8N Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only cork gasket I have is where the coil fits on the distributor housing.Is there suppost to be one one the cap also?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bad day for my 8N Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are four gaskets.
You can get all four from this site for $2.32 at this link: Gaskets

Hec In Omaha
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day for my 8N Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Budkaiser,

Yes sir. There is a thin round gasket that fits between the crab cap and the distributor. I often wondered if an o-ring would work better.

Hec

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.