Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1952 8 N with sherman trans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjsnodgrass
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have a 3 speed sherman in my 8N. i don't think in 20 years i have ever shifted to hi or lo range. it has started to give me trouble and i have a few questions. first the dog leg shifter is loose on the shifter shaft coming through the case. what holds shifter to the shaft. second, it seems like the detents for shifter in the sherman seem loose. are there detents, or what holds the sherman in gear? i'm assuming i need to split the tractor at the bellhousing to address these issues. should i choose to take the sherman out, what takes it's place as a drive shaft? thanks for the help.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The shifter is held to the shaft by an allen head screw. Tighten this first. If the handle has been loose for an extended period, the shaft and/or handle may be worn.

Yes, the Sherman top cover has detents. Properly tighten the handle before looking to detent issues.

Post back if tightening the handle does not correct any detent issues.

Dean

mjsnodgrass
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dean sure enough there was a loose allen head bolt. i didn't look close enough i guess. tightened up the handle, and that took care of it. but still a issue with the detents i think. does not feel real positive in gear. i'll put some time in on it tomorrow and post back. thanks dean.

mjsnodgrass
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dean sure enough there was a loose allen head bolt. i didn't look close enough i guess. tightened up the handle, and that took care of it. but still a issue with the detents i think. does not feel real positive in gear. i'll put some time in on it tomorrow and post back. thanks dean.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MJ........I had my eazy starting 6-volt 52-8N with 3-speed Sherman tranny 3-yrs before I found the "secret" pull-out 1-inch and back for straight-thru gears. I use both LOW (forward) and OVERDRIVE (aft) and never knew. I used UNDERDRIVE (low) for brushhoggin' so I didn't gitt bounced outta my tractor seat when pasture mowing. O/D down the highway to the nearest gas station for fill'em-up. Remember to wear glasses and keep yer mouth closed 'cuz them BUGGS on yer teeth from grinnin' don't taste so good ......toothfess Dell

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wish I had the low for my tiller, you need a rotor tiller and do gardens.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LB........the 3-speed Sherman LOW is NOT slow enuff fer roto-tillin'. Needs the rare and fragile "Howard" aux tranny to slow the 8N-tractor down enuff to roto-till. The 8N was designed for pullin' a 2-bottom plow. ........respectfully Dell

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bingo.

I nearly always use UD for mowing and just about everything else.

The only time I use OD is moving frome point to point on maintained roads.

Dean

mjsnodgrass
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dean

i have detent issues with the sherman trans. the sherman wants to "roll" out of gear. any suggestions? thanks

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really? I would like to try it cause I been doing it with my 52 in low. After I get the garden broke up and loose and I can idle with the tiller and it does ok. Always though a Sherman would do it perfect.

Dennis K (WA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

L.B, wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:14:53 02/05/13) Really? I would like to try it cause I been doing it with my 52 in low. After I get the garden broke up and loose and I can idle with the tiller and it does ok. Always though a Sherman would do it perfect.

The Sherman UD will slow down the tractor but also slows down the tiller.
Dennis

L. B,
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 8 N with sherman trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HUmmmmmmm I will continue wonder about it as I have to much to do anyway and no Sherman.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.