Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

57 Ford 600 Rebuild - Now Carb is filling with gas!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TM_57Ford600
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: 57 Ford 600 Rebuild - Now Carb is filling with gas! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another newbie question on my great grandads 57 ford tractor rebuild.

I have not had a chance to crank it yet but was hoping to today...but my carb is filling with gas and and running out where the air cleaner hose attacks to the carb. What is causing this?

Thanks!

russ1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Ford 600 Rebuild - Now Carb is filling with gas! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Either the float is improperly adjusted or the float needle valve is not closing for some other reason.

Will Gumbert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Ford 600 Rebuild - Now Carb is filling with gas! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty common problem with the Marvel Schebler
carbs. As russ said, it is probably the needle
valve not sealing or the float cracked, sticking, or
out of adjustment. But it could be other carb
problems as well. Did you rebuild the carb recently?
You shouldn't run or crank it without fixing it
first. Rebuild is not difficult or expensive. Check
for gas in the crankcase oil too. -Will

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Ford 600 Rebuild - Now Carb is filling with gas! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you rebuild the carb?? If yes then the needle seat may not be tight enough or the float is set wrong or you have the new rubber tipped needle and it need to have a set put in it. It you have not had it open then it has rusted up or has dirt/rust in the float needle seat or other such thing. Some times if it is dirt/rust pulling the drain plug out and letting it flow for a few minutes will clear that up. If you pull the drain plug catch the gas to look for dirt etc in it

Douglas Lloyd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Ford 600 Rebuild - Now Carb is filling with gas! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like the others said, the carb is leaking gas through the float, and either needs cleaning or adjustment.

In your earlier post, you were looking for a fuel shutoff. You will find that the Ford N tractor fuel sediment bowl and shutoff valve will thread right into either of the two holes in your aftermarket gas tank. Not original, but much easier to repair or cheap to replace.

If you go this route for the fuel shutoff, the center hole in the tank will not offer enough clearance for an N sediment bowl assembly over top of the valve cover for the engine, so use the threaded plug here and close it off. Put the N fuel bowl assembly in the other threaded hole on the side and you will find that you can reach this from the seat of your 600. Very handy.

Doug in east TN

TM_57Ford600
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Ford 600 Rebuild - Now Carb is filling with gas! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I did rebuild the carburetor but must have missed a step along the way. I am pretty sure it is the float.

I am going to tear it take it off, tear it down, and try again.

FYI - on my fuel line, I just added an in line valve in the area of the valve cover.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.