Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Reversing a snowblower

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got this nice 3pt snowblower the other day.

Works good but I don't like backing up. The good news is its reversible... The bad news is to do that you have to swap the pto shaft around to the other side. The shear bolt yoke is rusted on there pretty good. Broke 2 harbor freight pullers on it already. Any ideas?

I'd love to just have another half of that shear bolt plate and I'd just leave this one and install the other on the other side- en if I want to reverse it again I just have a couple of bolts to remove.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a machine shop make you one.

ben there
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

use a harmonic balancer puller and a bluetip wrench [torch]

OH - 961
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you say "reversible" how is that?
Do you put the hitch on the other side of it and pull it?

It would be nice if you could figure out a way to mount it on the front of the tractor and mount a PTO adapter to run a shaft underneath the tractor to power the blower. Just an idea.

Myron

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Please explain. Reversible? The rotor? The machine?
How can you not run that thing backing up?

Cow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Makes sense if you look at it. The 3pt mount unbolts, swaps to the other side. As does the pto shaft if I could get it off.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, that makes more sense. To answer your question,
you will need a puller about 3 times the size of the
one that you are showing. That shaft looks like it
might be about 1-1/4", all rusted together. As
stated before, a torch will be a requirement on this
job.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Torch.

And a new bearing, that one is close enough to not survive....

Paul

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Years ago we changed an eight foot rotary from rear mount AC WD to a front mount IH 400. We mounted the snow blower on the DUAL loader and ran a shaft to the rear of tractor. Mounted a home made plate on rear of 400. Put a bearing and gear and then another gear on pto with speedchain. Worked good except 400 had narrow front wheels--bad deal.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How well do those V snowblowers work compared to dual auger snowblowers? Do they handle wet heavy snow pretty well or do they plug more easily?

RWK in WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking at the picture of the working side of the blower I am not
sure if both of the breaker bars are in place along the shaft to the
blower proper. You really need those breakers to be there for the
snow to feed smoothly into the blower.
I have two blowers like yours and pulling them sure beats backing
up. You also have more and probably slower gears.
Good luck with yours.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it was mine, I'd leave the slip plate there, and make a new one for
the other side. Measure the shaft, and order a bushing that fits,
drill a hole in the bushing for the retainer pin, and weld a plate to
the bushing, then machine the plate, and drill the shear bolt holes.
When you put it all together, use Never-Sieze, and you'll always be
able to remove it!

McMaster -Carr is a good place to order the bushing stock!

Cow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Diydave wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:55:00 02/03/13) If it was mine, I'd leave the slip plate there, and make a new one for
the other side. Measure the shaft, and order a bushing that fits,
drill a hole in the bushing for the retainer pin, and weld a plate to
the bushing, then machine the plate, and drill the shear bolt holes.
When you put it all together, use Never-Sieze, and you'll always be
able to remove it!

McMaster -Carr is a good place to order the bushing stock!

I like this idea but I don't have any way to machine something like that. I've got a small drill press so I could make the holes if I had something close enough that would fit over the shaft.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd check about using a WeldOn hub to fit the shaft, and a sprocket large enough to fit your needed bolt circle. You could carefully measure for the bolt holes and drill them on your drill press. No machining necessary. Those hubs and sprockets are in every farm store, and pretty cheap.

Cow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a snowblower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PJH wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:37:11 02/04/13) I'd check about using a WeldOn hub to fit the shaft, and a sprocket large enough to fit your needed bolt circle. You could carefully measure for the bolt holes and drill them on your drill press. No machining necessary. Those hubs and sprockets are in every farm store, and pretty cheap.

Can't seem to find any hubs with a 1-3/4 bore but I found this thing.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=370656298355&index=11&nav=SEARCH&nid=14086998857

I'll have to go measure everything again to be sure but that might be exactly what I need.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters