Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What tire to use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toolz
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What tire do you think would work best? 23.1-26 or 20.8-34? Stock class, un cut, low speed, power is not an issue. Same tread and brand, 8500-10500 lbs.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would lean towards the 20.8 X 34. They are taller, aren't they?

toolz
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, by quite a bit. Haven't looked at the footprint size comparison yet.

Dick W.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

20.8x34 8 ply; rolling circ 203, flat plate 350, weight 264.
23.1x26 8 ply; rolling circ 186, flat plate 370, weight 329.

moresmoke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also consider exactly how fast you want to go in a given gear. With some tractors the limited gear choices are an issue. I went from 18.4x34 to 23.1x26 and got right at 5 mph where I need to run. The wider tires are much pickier on pressure to perform right.

toolz
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most of the pulls I go to have no set speed limit, but we have to pull in 1st gear. The taller tire would help in that case for more speed. I will be pulling two of the same model tractor this season- one at 8650 and the more powerful one in 10,500- one will get the 20.8-34 and the other 23.1-26. Thinking of putting the tall tires on the heavy tractor since it has the hp to pull them.

toolz
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Dick- Footprint is real close, so that should help me decide which way to go.

Brad Vinkemeier
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In 8650 class your going to have a hard time punching a 23.1×26 to the the ground depending on types of tracks u plan on pulling on a wider tire normally pulls better in a heavier class at least from what I have learned but it all depends on track conditions height of bar tire pressure weight how well you know ur tractor and how well u balance ur tractor I think your going have to try both tires in all classes and decide from there generally in my area I have found that a tall skinny tire pulls better than a short fat tire but that's just my opinion

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brand of tire can make a difference as well.In talking to several different pullers it seems BFGs have a larger circumference than Firestone and Radials if allowed are prefered.Less than 25% tread and the most speed you can get and maintain in your selected gear are what people prefer as it is truly a game of inches.

M 5 Jack
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Toolz , I knew what the M 5 did to you at Danvers and Delevan 2011 pulls was getting to you . LOL I got some better tires bought for the ZB . She ought to be a 38 hp bear now !! With the way they they are just dropping the pan at the end of pull it is just who misses holes and has some speed now. Hope we have some fun soon, this winter crap is getting old. Jack

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I haven't seen a 23.1 impress me yet. Can't you run 38's?

toolz
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What tire to use? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dboll- Had old junk wiggly Goodyear 23.1 on my 10,500 tractor last year, and out of 8 pulls I won 5 with two 2nds and a 3rd. There are a few guys running 18.4-38s. I had a set on a 900 I sold a while back- didn"t seem to bother anybody. Might give it a try sometime.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters