Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended Gasket Material

View previous topic :: View next topic  
F4RM@11
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Recommended Gasket Material Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What type and thickness of gasket material do you suggest for the rear axle carrier caps and PTO? What about suggestions on felt for the rear axle carrier caps?

GASKET, rear axle carrier cap
    GASKET, power take-off oil seal retainer
    WASHER, felt, rear axle

1953 Stage II Super M

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Gasket Material Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know about the felt. I got gasket paper from my local Ace
hardware and also from the local independent auto parts store. I
just got the sheets that were big enough to make the gasket out of
one piece, I do not think the thickness is critical on those
applications.
Zach

Nebraska Kirk
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Gasket Material Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The felt you can get from your local CaseIH dealer.

As far as gasket material goes, 1/32" or 1/64" thickness, either will work just fine.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Gasket Material Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought mine from CIH, looked real nice.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Gasket Material Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't make gaskets as they are cheap enough from CaseIH, and I can never get the right thickness anyway. Not sure you can still get the felt, if not use the old one if it is still any good.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended Gasket Material Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CNKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:45:09 02/04/13) I don't make gaskets as they are cheap enough from CaseIH, and I can never get the right thickness anyway. Not sure you can still get the felt, if not use the old one if it is still any good.

90% of the time that is what I do. When you start working on the MD sometimes you need to take charge and make your own. That or there is that one simple gasket that you forgot to order and you want to just finish. Laughing

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended Gasket Material Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only gasket not available for the SH and SM (can't speak for the MD) is the one under the belt pulley. I make an occasional one, and generally order gaskets as I disassemble.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.