Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over USAP.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMZAck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over USAP. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our local club voted in USAP rules last summer for the 2013 season. Now there are rumblings they may reject the 3mph class in favor of a bone stock class. Just curious if other clubs are running rules like that and how hard it is to police. With rules like "no internal engine modifications" it could be tough. This makes me think we are headed for trouble.

Zack

Dieselbear
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3mph. is very easy to police, on the other hand, in this day and age bone stock. There is no such thing

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are these Oliver guys? When you go to bone stock Olivers will generally win. they are light and have a long frame. Ihc's are next or is it Masseys? Also someone must have a perfect road worn set of tires! A neighbor, kind of who pulls plow classes. Just told me he had spent hrs and hrs and a lot of gas spinning his tires backwards getting ready for spring! Top cuts 11ft long levels the playing field. Lengthen the chain if everybody is powering out.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

good luck, does anyone want to spend a hot afternoon at a pull trying to police that? we are starting to get a few classes around here that are no suit case weights, no welded hitches, 12.4 or 13.6 tires in the lighter classes, I guess my take on it is if it has internal mods intended for farming I don't have a problem with it, I would like to try a CC with M&W domes. Unhook the sled and hook up a plow that's what I built it for.

north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zack, my first question is, are you gonna get enough participation to make it worth while?

Second, get rid of the "internal modifications" rule. You and I know that you can't police that.

No matter how you set the rules, somebody just gets in under the wire and loves it, and somebody is just over the wire and hates it. That being said, I think 3mph might be too much for pure stock.

JMHO, if I were making the rules, I would go with stock RPM, clevis on factory drawbar at 14", and 2.6 or 2.7 MPH.

That might give a truly "stock" tractor a fighting chance.

MMZAck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was my first thought too. The rules are written pretty narrow and I would be surprised if there were lots of tractors in that type of class. I can't see policing horsepower very effectively either - someone always seems to be disappointed.

My thoughts are along the lines of what you describe - if they want at bone stock class, make it slower than 3mph and maybe lengthen the sled chain. If they want really stock then make it 2.5 mph plow speed at factory rated rpm. I'm all for everyone having fun.

On another note, the 4mph and 6mph modified USAP classes are really heating up around here, especially with surrounding clubs. These are my favorite classes to pull in. My hope was to draw in pullers from other clubs to boost hook numbers using USAP rules. I would like to see our club's rules appeal to a broader audience.

Thanks for your responses! I wanted to bounce this off the YT community before I go to the rules meeting this weekend.

Zack

Schim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats what everyone does around by us. Well they try to do it. if your serious you need a trustworthy tach for stock RPM's and a dyno for horsepower. Find something like the old M&W sheets to go by. They had RPM and horse on them, at least the set Ive seen did. Now you can either dyno everyone or dyno the top 3 or dont dyno until someone b!tches about that 310 in a 77. There is one place that dynos everyone be fore the pull around here. Lets not forget the stock hitches and stock weights that everyone must have. What about class jumping? Around here we have guys go from stock to modified all the time. Not everyone likes that. I say you either build to run with them or dont pull. i think if you start a stock class your just going to open a whole new can of worms and its going to turn into a soap opera, least that's what ours has become.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Original Drawbar ht and Length sound great...
I would much rather see them "as built", pulling..

Brings it back "Home", I think..

You can go anywhere and see "Smokers"...

Ron..

north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"As built" would be a great place for newbies to start. Problem is that nobody wants to stay there for long. Most people get "the itch" after a year or maybe two. Next thing you know, its M&W kits, hitches, and tires. A couple more years, its strokers and race fuel.

Tractors evolve. Drivers evolve. Competition evolves. Its just part of any motorsport. People naturally want to improve themselves and by extension, their rides.

Its hard to get new people started without a bone stock class, but its hard to have a bone stock class because nobody wants to stay there.

Catch 22, so to speak.

DAVE Thompson jr
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have been around long enough to know that there is no such thing as a stock tractor anymore that goes to the pulls. At the pulls I have been at you might see a few in the local class when someone just brings them there from the hay wagon and they only go a short distance. Everyone in so competitive that it almost takes a good division 2 tractor to pull Farm Stock class. In the club I pulled with around here people who couldnt get it done in the Modified class just dropped down to the farm and field class.

Captainhookerus
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pure stock can be more by fun just reading Nebr. test results, and a damn site cheaper.

johndeereman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a farm stock class. There"s a fair turn out for it. Rules say gotta have factory air cleaner on and hooked up no power blocks or the like, factory style hitch non adjustable 16 inch drawbar and pull from a Clevis provided by the club,2.75 mph, 2 size up on tires from factory seems to work good. At that drawbar and pace a modified tractor would struggle.

LCB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

VicS I thought all JD where running stock.All kidding aside the speed limit is the best way to give everybody a chance.That is the rule that helps the lower HP tractors the most and is easy to police.

FactoryFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Johndeereman wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:24:28 02/05/13) We have a farm stock class. There"s a fair turn out for it. Rules say gotta have factory air cleaner on and hooked up no power blocks or the like, factory style hitch non adjustable 16 inch drawbar and pull from a Clevis provided by the club,2.75 mph, 2 size up on tires from factory seems to work good. At that drawbar and pace a modified tractor would struggle.

That's an easy one, cut the guts out of the factory air cleaner and grind the letters and numbers off the powerblock Very Happy

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bone stock class - a good idea? Club considering over U Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I response to your dyno idea. If you go by the Neb. test for a DC Case which was only tested in 1939 at 37hp with 3 7/8 pistons and a 4570 head and I come with a 52 DC with with 4" factory overbores and the 5505 gas head and it dyno's 45hp am I in violation of the rules? I think a dyno check is about as big of a waste of time as I have ever seen.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.