Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freeing stuck tierods??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hossman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Freeing stuck tierods?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guys, I have a set of used tierods I recently purchased and need to adjust them back in a bit. Does anyone got any ideas on how to free them up? The ones im replacing have been pretty buggered up by past owner. They took a torch and blew a kerf down the better part of the sleeve to "loosen" them up,complete with the nice slag drip all down the tierods. I have drilled a small hole on the bottom of the "new" tierods to get some penatrant into them and have been fillin with PB blaster.My next trick would be heat. I really dont want to mangle up this good set and wondered if yall had some tips for breaking these loose. As always thanks for any help, Hoss

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeing stuck tierods?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Soaking them is good. Heat is good. Working them over with a hammer is good. I don't mean such that you disfigure them, just hammering all over them with a good back up behind the rods.
At the shop where I used to work, we separated stuck PTO shafts by chaining one end to the bottom of the mast assy. of the forklift, and the other to the forks, and lifted!

Mike Neia

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeing stuck tierods?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can hold the tube end try twisting the solid end with a pipe wrench.

Leon RCMo
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeing stuck tierods?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get after them with a air hammer. Will not beat them up badly.Used to do it all the time when I alighned big trucks.

Hendrik
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Freeing stuck tierods?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Using a forklift is a neat idea. Instead of a (shop)press you a have a "puller", for lack of a better word.

Mark-Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Freeing stuck tierods?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heat them up and quick cool them with water. They should almost fall apart.

Hossman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeing stuck tierods?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Guys, Thanks so much for the ideas,there still soaking and tommorow gona try the heat and cool trick.If that dont get em gona put the ol air hammer to em. Thanks again, Hoss

S.C.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Freeing stuck tierods?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried everything on my wd-45 but decided to just buy new ones. The only thing I didn't try was to use an air die grinder with a thin cut off wheel and split the tube to get it free. Make the split on the bottom so if any water gets in it can drain out. You can weld the split back up but it probably wouldn't hurt to leave it, then later if you want to change widths it should be easy.

dej(Jed)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Freeing stuck tierods?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just buy new ones..........

Bill Rowles
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeing stuck tierods?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After soaking with PB Blaster, lay the end with the stuck threads on an anvil (or equivalent) and give it a good massage with a heavy hammer while rolling the threaded area around on the anvil with your free hand. That should breakup the rust in the threads without damage.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.