Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lower lift arm removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdicharry
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Lower lift arm removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried to remove the lower lift arms on my 1949 8n to straighten or replace them. I found the threaded pin that holds one of them in (located below the axle) was so loose that it would only spin when I tried to loosen the nut holding the arm on.

Is there any way to fix this without removing the axle?

thanks
jim

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Lower lift arm removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To get to it, you need to remove the axle trumpet. If you remove the left trumpet, you can do them both at the same time. It's held on by a castelated nut w/ a cotter key on the inside. Drain the fluid (see tips 3 & 4, below) Remove the left trumpet & slide the differential gear out. (an engine hoist is a good idea) Make sure the holes are not wallowed out or you will be in there again. I hear JB Weld works, but I've never had the problem so I can't say for sure. Torque the nut on the new pin to 150 lbs before you put the cotter key in. Wipe the new trumpet gaskets w/ warm water & let them set a few minutes before you put them on. Make sure you use your favorite gasket sealer. Torque the 11 trumpet studs to 40 lbs.
75 Tips

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lower lift arm removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep.. btdt.. just like bruce is telling you.

BIG_EASY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower lift arm removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had this problem too. My tractor has stabilizer brackets, which
you need for the way I temporarily stopped the threaded pin from
spinning. I removed the stud on the stabilizer bracket, then put a
long threaded bolt with a nut and washer into the stabilizer bracket
hole on one end and tightened the bolt (by turning the nut) against
the threaded pin - this makes the pin tight into the tractor, and the
nut can then be removed without the pin turning. The bolt needs to
be smaller than the bolt on the pin. It worked for me.

Ken N Tx
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Lower lift arm removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jdicharry wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:41:41 02/06/13) I tried to remove the lower lift arms on my 1949 8n to straighten or replace them. I found the threaded pin that holds one of them in (located below the axle) was so loose that it would only spin when I tried to loosen the nut holding the arm on.

Is there any way to fix this without removing the axle?

thanks
jim

jdicharry
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Lower lift arm removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for all your insight. I really appreciate it.

jim

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.