Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spark plug hole partly covered from new pistons 1940A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tugboattim

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: spark plug hole partly covered from new pistons 1940A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just need more than than one person to tell me this will work. I bored my early gas only A out .125 and found used aluminum pistons that are a little longer than the iron ones I took out. the dealer said they were out of an early A but they were noticably longer. Someone from this site assured it would work but would I still use the same number spark plugs ie colder or hotter all ideas will be pondered thanks in advance

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug hole partly covered from new pistons 1940A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The aluminum aftermarket pistons usually have a chamfered edge on the piston crown. This chamfer should line up with the spark plug hole and allow clearance for the spark plug. Use Autolite 3116 plugs. after installing roll the engine over by hand to double check that there is not a problem.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug hole partly covered from new pistons 1940A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In addition to the below info. If you do have the champher or notches lined up and thet still block the holes I'd be tempted to grind some material away to make it open.

I had a late B with one piston upside down that partially blocked the hole and previous owner told me that he has had it blow out valve cover gaskets before from a crankcase explosions and never could find the problem. I can only assume this was it ? I flipped it around and sold it and never heard anymore after that.

Mike N Mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug hole partly covered from new pistons 1940A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had the same problem on an early "A". I used a die grinder to deepen the existing spark plug notch. After grinding use a flap bit to smooth everything up. Be carefull NOT to leave any sharp edges, as a sharp edge will cause detonation. Mike

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug hole partly covered from new pistons 1940A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There should be no reason to do any grinding to any piston so long as you have the correct pistons for your tractor and it still has the original crankshaft. If someone has installed a later A crankshaft which has a longer stroke it may be a problem.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug hole partly covered from new pistons 1940A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Machine as required but leave enough support for the top ring.

alvan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug hole partly covered from new pistons 1940A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 45 a that I put a set of 125 over pistons in that were a inch taller. They are notch from the factory and they work fine they cover the spark plug hole by half use 3117 plugs and runs great.

John 37A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug hole partly covered from new pistons 1940A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used .125 late A pistons in my 37. Spark plug holes half covered, no machining, and it runs great. Autolite 3116. Just make sure you turn it over for clearance before attempting to start. If its hand start, you'll want the petcocks open to roll it over.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.