Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you determand the cal of a gun

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok so here is what I need to figure out. On Monday a guy will be bringing me a single shoot black powder hand gun. He does not know what cal this thing is so how do you go about determining cal of it when you have one that does not have that stamped on the gun any place.
Thanks
Yes I figure you can measure the barrel some how but once done how do you know with those numbers what it is??

Robert Mull
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Google Caliber and read definiation under wikipedi

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mic it. if it measures .450 then its a 45 cal. and so on.
Black powder shouldn't have too many choices.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Google would be fine if I was not on dial up. Every time I try to Google something it takes forever and two days to get any place then it sets up 20K sites to sort out

farmer boy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this site actually faster than Google for you? When I was on dial-up, this site was the 2nd fastest site next to Google search. Google was dang fast as far as dial-up goes.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Y-T is one of the fastest sites I go to but maybe it is because I am on here so much so the computer knows where it is going LOL

delawarbill

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old,

Remember, usually in the US the bore diameter is measured in the grooves as opposed to the lands. The lands are the raised areas resulting from the rifling operation. To determine the actual cartridge, you should do a chamber casting. Let me know if you want me to elaborate on that.

RN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Black powder caliber standard is land to land measurement. works best on even number of lands and grooves- but the diameter of land height is same on the odd number groove like Enfield M53, etc. Pistol bore measure with inside caliper or get to muzzle and use a ruler on top of land and hopefully opposite land. A land to land of .44 gets a 44 caliber- and with usual patch means use a .425 to .430 ball. Old cut standard was 6 to 8 thousands groove so a difference of .012 to .016 groove diameter to land was normal. Musket groove during civil war was shallower on springfields like Colt 1863 and some single shot Dragoon pistols of same .57 caliber-- .004/.005 difference. Lots of modern made replicas use a shallower groove- more like current standard of .003/.004- since they"re being made with "modern" tooling. Dixie had some .35, .36, .38 calibers of pocket pistols from varying makers- english, spanish, Italian. and they did vary from deep cut to shallow.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did a wax cast on that Argentine rifle I had and that worked pretty well but on a black powder hand gun not sure how I could do that and get it back out of the bore

DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a silicone (I think) material, that shrinks just a little, on drying, that law enforcement uses to cast the ID of guns that have been intentionally damaged, at the ends of the barrels. I saw it on one of the How catch-em cop shows, on TV. If you have a Cop Buddy, ask about it, or google it.

John D Smith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old, first go to castboolits.com they have 25,000+ members that are experts on everything gun and more. Signup is free and you will get prompt, expert repies.
John

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cop and buddy in this area does not mix since about 75% of them are on the take like most in the court house. Some people call the court system in this area the Little mafia

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John D Smith wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:04:05 02/08/13) Old, first go to castboolits.com they have 25,000+ members that are experts on everything gun and more. Signup is free and you will get prompt, expert repies.
John

Yeah, just be careful you don't stand up to any of the super special favorite posters or they'll ban you. That place has gone to the dogs.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You know if this works this is the easy way to get to a site when you give them a site
Gun sight

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determand the cal of a gun Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You know if this works this is the easy way to get to a site when you give them a site but guess I did something wrong or you did not list it right since it does not work
Gun sight

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.