Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5000 clutch job,

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted E.Bear
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hi again, i posted a few days ago about the clutch slipping, and decided to get a clutch job done, my tractor is a 1965 model, 8sp ind.pto, so as near as i can tell its a single clutch,, ive never done a clutch job, but do most all other work to my tractors n equip, is it gonna be a bear to do this? i know i have to split the tractor,but once i get in there what do i look forward to?
thanks

Ted E.Bear
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i did find the serial number which is c114173 5k1 , i looked all the info up and also found this ,c5nn on the trans housing,

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These are easy tractors to split. Once you open it up, you'll find a single disc clutch that is easy to remove.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd be most concerned about the date code and the spline count and style of the clutch once you get the thing split. There were various clutches available for these tractors... so just find which one it has and get another.

Hy-Capacity often sells a reman pressure plate that's fairly decent... I'd probably go with that unless it's really getting the snot worked out of it... then I'd probably go with an OEM clutch disc.
Also prudent to change the engine rear seal and the pilot and release bearings while you're in there...

Rod

WayneIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If memory serve me right, I put a flat washer (8 of them )between the preasure plate and the flywheel so as to give the fingers enough room to disengage the clutch disk. I beleive you will have a six bolt or and eight bolt mounting, bolting the preasure plate to the flywheel The parts book shows shims for that purpose,which I didn"t have. My 5000 is a 1972 with 256 engine.

Trac1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would not be a bad idea to consider re-surfacing the flywheel while you are in there too. It will provide a longer service life for your new clutch.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

this job is approaching for me as well. I think I finally used up all my adjustment last summer.

I hope to simply make it thru mowing season this year with her then split her.

just got some practice on a jd 2240.. but the 5000 is bigger.... not looking forward to splitting these bigger tractors.. Smile

Ted E.Bear
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hey thanks to all the replies, ur makine me feel better bout having to do this job,lol, i have noticed that there is so many different splines an so on, so i guess i will wait till i get it apart b4 buying the new, that way i can match it up, thanks

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

get a trailer jack and make up a bracket like Hobo posted on here awhile back. It will make handling much easier and safer.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's easier than the little ones most of the time...
2240 is roughly the same size.

Rod

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i can't imagine bigger being easier to split than smaller.. just looking at weight issue and all.

with a friend and a 'here hold this and stay out of the way' helper, I had that 2240 split in about 2 hours, after fighting with the hydro lines on the right side.

that was in a nice enclosed shop with concrete floor, overhead hoist, lotsa floor jacks and stands.

my shop's got none of that. :)

I'll be lucky if I can use my stepdads shop... Smile

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hit enter before finished.

contrast that 2240 split to one I did on my much, much smaller farmall C. I don't think it took 45m by myself to get split. in fact.. it may have taken 30m. much smaller.. much lighter.. easier to manipulate.

after my heart problems a couple years ago.. I've been scraping the bottom of the BBL and only doing smaller projects.. that case VAC and the farmall C.. a dearborn plow.. etc..

Oh well.. the 5000's gonna need a clutch whether I want to do it or not. can't change that.

I forsee my wife coming home and seeing the 5000 taken apart on the driveway.. Smile

Last edited by souNdguy on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With small tractors... I think more in terms of the jap imports. They're harder to split than a 5000 if you're using jacks... I find it generally takes 3 floor jacks and 8 arms to manipulate the little tractors around because they want to topple over or the rear end wants to lift before the mis section when you're jacking...
The easiest tractor anyone could ever hope to split is a 2wd 10 series row crop. Ya don't even remove the hood on those old dolls. Just rub their belly.... and they spread.

Rod

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ah.. ok.. I understand what you are saying.

on a jap import.. they are a short tranny and rear and might tip back.

them ldiy small ones ai split had long torque tubes.. etc..

Brian in MA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000 clutch job, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found when the adjustment is gone you can cut & weld the clutch rod and get a few hundred/thousand more hours. Worked for me anyway.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.