Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 3000 split question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laneman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Ford 3000 split question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Today I started a split for a clutch repair, was wondering what to do with steering box, dash area, and fuel tank. I will be rolling the back away from the front due to a 730 loader installed. I'd like to leave the dash attached to the front half, seems like I could avoid opening up the diesel fuel lines this way. What needs to be unhooked with this method? Not sure how the fuel tank is handled. So far I have loader unhooked from rear axle, front axle wedged, all steering rods unhooked, hydraulic pump almost off.

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 split question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take all that stuff (steering box and fuel tank) along with the back half. Simply shut off the fuel shutoff valve and disconnect the one line. You will also need to disconnect the fuel return line at the tank, no big deal. That would be it for fuel stuff.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 split question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why did you remove the hydraulic pump??? Remove the battery and starter-disconnect the fuel line at shut off valve-fuel return line at #3 inj.Unhook throttle and fuel shut off cable at pump. I remove the- 4 7/16 in bolts in the back of the head that holds the battey tray etc. others do it differently,unplug wiring harnesses.Remove the screw that hold the timing door -remove the bell housing bolts, roll it apart.I can roll one apart in about 1 1/2 hrs.

Tequila
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 split question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would follow the. Manual directions for the split. Believe you have to remove all bolts from the steering-dash assembly and lift that assembly at least an inch before the bellhousing can slide back. Tough with FEL in the way. Good luck.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 split question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless you can't get the top bolts out on the bellhousing I'd leave the steering pedestal where it's at.
Just unbolt the hood from the tank dash area... make sure the fuel tank is free from the engine and unhook the fuel lines. IIRC you also need to pull the engine electrical harness off the engine so it can go with the rear part... don't recall that there is a multi connector on that one.
Later series tractors... I would remove the steering pedestal but not on this one unless absolutely necessary.

Rod

Laneman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 split question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I only removed the hydraulic pump because IT manual said so, now that you mention it seems like it could have stayed on,just unhook lines. Seems the most challenging part of this split is the lack of info on what really needs to be unhooked. Don't want to add any extra work to the project. One thing I really want is to not open any fuel lines, I've read too many posts of people that can't get their system bled. That's why I want to lift the steering box and just pull the back away. I'm taking photos and writing a step by step that I plan to post here, I think it would really help the forum. I know I sure could have used one.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 split question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I split 2 or 3 of these tractors a month. Shut off the fuel valve at the tank and unhook the line.When you roll it back together,hook the line back up,turn on the fuel,open the bleeders on the fuel filters and let them bleed until clear fuel runs out, shut them off and start the sucker. More Questions?

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 split question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can't follow directions and bleed a fuel system, then maybe you have no business splitting a tractor.

Laneman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 split question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the help welding man

Last edited by Laneman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.