Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4-1/2 Grinders

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JK2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone had a brand or specific model 4-1/2" grinder that lasted very long (more than a year)?
I've used several different brands & the cheapies seem to last almost as long as the expensive ones before they start throwing sparks and/or smoke. Thanks, John

Randysouthmississippi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a craftsman 4-1/2 grinder that i bought new in the mid 80's its been used just for farm use and not on a daily basis but has seen some hard times,and is still going strong, actually with the original cord on it.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got two older Dewalts that I've worked the crap out of. One I've had for nearly 10 years (and it was well used when I got it), the other for a year or two (and it was used relatively hard too as I knew it's history before it was given to me). That said all grinders aren't created equal. You can have two of them that are the same brand, and both look identical, but they have different amp ratings on the tag. Typically I've seen them with the smaller ones running 7 amps and the heavier built ones running 10 or 12 amps. If you go for the higher amp models they will usually last alot longer than the low amp models.

huntingreen2day
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Black and Decker I have been using about 18 years.

Ted in NE-OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a Harbor Freight one with a wire brush to restore tractors use and abuse. Still going, not as quiet as others tho. It's a throwaway and it keeps going.

Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a Skil around 1987. A bearing burned up not long after. Had the bearing replaced at a local shop. The grinder is still going strong.

bison
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a cheapy $40 strongarm(china) since 94. I musta wore out a zillion discs with it,.still going strong.

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JK2, Makita !!! have worked well for me, Just not a B&D fan.
Later,
John A.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The biggest reason most 4 1/2" grinders burn up is because people try to do the work of a bigger grinder with them.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Dewalt that's over fifteen years old. Admittedly, it doesn't get used every day. Others have said that Metabo makes the best small grinder.

DJM75
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had my porter cable for years no problems.

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a Milwaukee 11 amp grinder off Craigslist for $25. What a STRONG little grinder!I also have a DeWalt that I have had and loved for years.
Additionally I have thrown away several HF grinders that I was given as bonuses, new from HF. Tried using them as I would the DeWalt. Not abusing, just regular use. None have lasted more than a day. I sure as h3ll would never pay money for one!

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 3 1/2" dewalts and 2 7" dewalts and a 7" makita, all 20+ years old and still going strong.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JK2,
I have a Black & Decker made when B&D meant something, old enough to vote. I have 2 dewalt grinders. There are different models of dewalts, get the 10 amp one. Also have an 18 v dewalt. Some may figure out I'm a dewalt fan, must like the color.
George

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 Grinders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had three HF angle grinders. After using one for about 5 years it wore out. The other two I bought two or three years ago are still going.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.