Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Varment rifle

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark6005
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any thoughts on a 22 magnum rifle? I see a Remington semi and a savage bolt action and Henry makes a pump and lever. Priced from $260 or so to nearly $600 for the semi. The octagon barrel Henry was sharp. Have a mag revolver so trying to condense the caliber of ammo but looking for a little rifle for varments without the expense of say a 223.

Husker44A
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My choice would be a Ruger .204-.223. Or the Savage model 110 of same calibers. I have a AR in the. 204 and love it. I reload for every rifle that I own. Which is 204-257Rob. And a wildcat 22-243 Winchester thats a rebarreled Mauser 98. Thats my L/R coyote gun. If you want to stay reasonable priced check into the H&R Handi-Rifle 223. A lot of Calibur choices too. Have one of those too.

KIP in MX
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I imagine the Savage bolt would be a nice one or a Ruger 77/22. IMO, the Cadillac of 22 magnums is a Winchester model 61 pump (I have a 22LR and 22 Mag), but you will have to cough up way more than $600 for a nice one. New, I would probably go with the Savage. Don't know about the Henry and don't think I would want a 22 mag autoloader.

D beatty
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want a good 22 mag semi-auto get a Brno model 611 is hard to beat. If you want a great 22 mag bolt action find a model 82 Kimber of Clackamas,Oregon. Both of these rifles will pattern in a 1 inch circle.

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a Marlin 22 mag bolt action rifle. it has a hooded front sight and feeder tube. It is very handy, as well as very accurate. I don't know if they make it anymore or even the cost. Could google it and see if it's still avail. Hope you find what you need,without incuring the national debt.lol. Also check out pawn shops or even Armslist web sight, you might find a good used one at a reasonable cost. I have always preferred bolt or lever action over semi autos,much less parts to break or wear out,keeps your marksmanship keen IMO. Hope this helps.
LOU
P.S. picture is of the one we own.

D beatty
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOU it looks like a Marlin model 25 which is not a bad rifle but are kind if hard to find.

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D beatty,It's a Marlin 783 Micro-Groove Barrel. Had it for quite a few years, but still is very accurate.
LOU

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

.22 Magnum rimfire is a silly cartridge. You can handload centerfire ammo for the same cost as .22 Mag, and even the lowly .22 Hornet far outperforms the .22 Mag.

DaninKansas

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Marlin 882SS that is a great little rifle for varments. If I do my part 5 rounds in a nickle sized target at 50 yards. I would suspect they are about $200 or so used for a really nice one. Mine came from the factory with fiber optic sights. A fixed 4X scope is all it needs if you think it needs one.

The other would be the Savage 93 with the accutrigger. We have them in .17HMR and a similar MARKII in .22LR. I like them almost as much as the Marlin and the trigger probably makes them a more accurate rifle.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want a 22 mag, hunt around for an older Mossberg. They made a zillion of them and while kind of clunky in the stock, they usually shot very well. I'd expect to pay $100-150.00, maybe less.

JD PHIL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have winchester 9422 mag leaver action had for many years shoots very well, will take down deer,many other varments to.

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too close in performance to the .22lr and too far from the .223. In my opinion as far as functionality what's the point unless you just flat want one. That I get:)

The .22 Hornet is a great in between cartridge. Ammo is, or at least was, about the same price and availability as .22 mag + you can hand load for it.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought my son a 22LR like that, very accurate rifle, same barrel as my 39A lever action

Row Crop
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just got this Henry 17HMR rifle last week. I'm thinking those woodchucks don't have a chance!

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Varment rifle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lou, I obtained a complete, but kind of a basket case 783, not sure what the heck happened, gunked up, some spots of rust, would not feed or eject, mag tube was a bit sticky, first round of repairs was cleaning, barrel swage, then a new feedthroat, and ejector. Cleaned and oiled, action was now smooth, barrel swage did not seem to have much to do, maybe something was off, round does chamber just fine. At this point it still would not feed correctly, jams up, so I waited until Numrich Arms (Gun Parts Corp.) had the cartridge lifter spring in stock, I just recently got those parts, but have yet to install, might do it today, being so windy and cold, nice cozy table near my woodstove LOL !

I did not know much about the 783, particularly the micro-groove barrel, one of the guys whom used to work for us, used to deal in antiques on in his off hours, once in awhile he would have inexpensive firearms, he asked $60, said I'll check it out, told him what was wrong with it, he took $30 more off, I'm into it another $25 I suppose, but was really curious about opinions on them, anything else you like or dislike about the 783 ?

It seems this ought to do the trick, I have federal, HP, SP and a box of Remington SP to try in it, have no idea what shoots best out of these, still say its a nice little plinker, .22wmr is not cost prohibitive IMHO Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.