Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HUBS STUCK!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B.G. ANGELL
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the best way to get hubs that are stuck to an axle unstuck? I have tried heating them with a torch and just cant get them off with a hammer. do they make a reasonable set of gear pullers that big? On a 70 oliver.

craigco
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some people make their own puller with a piece of heavy steel across the axle and all thread going to the hub.

Super Trucker
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If there anything like my 36 HP 70 get ready for the biggest battle you have ever fought. It took heat to the tune of 900 deg and a 20 bottle jack bottomed out pressure and a BFH to get mine off. TOOK 3hrs each side. Did you guy's get the rod?

nl00sb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we used to loosen the bolts up and drive around and or use the tractor under close watch till they broke loose

B.G. ANGELL
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure did. really appreciate it!

mark49
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I built a puller like Craig said and used a large gear puller at the same time on the last hub I pulled off a Massey 44. I tightened the puller until it started to bend (1 1/8" steel, used lots of PB Blaster and then had to hit the back of hub at the axle with a sledge hammer (piece of aluminum between to cushion the blow). Took 2 or 3 evenings to get it to move.

49A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Used a port a power to put pressure on it while tapping on it. Broke loose. May need to move port a power from side to side

west alton river rat

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

20 yrs ago my buddy was trying to move the wheels on his JD 4230. We soaked it with wd-40 tried to drive in chisels ,4 hours nothing. We called our JD shop forman he said hit that s.o.b as hard as you can straight down with the biggest sledge you have. 2 hids an it was broke loose. WILDMAN

Mopar-Harris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

25 years ago we took a set of axles out of a 70 Oliver down to Cat's shop in KC. Put them in a 150 ton press. 1st one shook the shop when it let loose at 120 tons; second let loose at 90....

Pete

LCB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is rust that is holding it on get it as hot as you can then cool it down with water as fast as you can and this will often times break them loose.

puln70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made a puller that fit around the hub & used a 10 ton bottle jack,got torch out got it hot & still wouldn't budge.So I found a guy w/a big hyd press,took it(the axle & hub w/wheel) to him & it took quite a bit of pressure but that came off.

baldwin racing
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

see if you can get liquid nitrogen. from a local welding supply store....you will have to barrow a container like what they put bull siemen in.....pour it on axle....wearing gloves and becarefull.... it will shrink axle being so cold....on both sides then hit hub.....
kelly

B.G. ANGELL
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dang! Apparently wheel hubs are a common problem. Thanks guys for all the replies.

gordey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We built a puller and used the power-pack at the same time, never used heat though.

LarryM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: HUBS STUCK!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I built a puller for a 9 bolt hub that had a bolt going to each hole and a 1" threaded rod and nut in the center. By the time I got it off the 1" threaded rod I used had mushrumed out and formed a little point that went right into the center of the axle. There is no way I would have gotten them off with out breaking them had I not built it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.