Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliverkid
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cool video of Canadian harvesters with a Massey and a Cockshutt. The Massey is a 21 isnt it? Anybody have an idea of the Cockshutt? Sure wish I could have been around in those days!
Harvest

Stan - Florida
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that video! Although I never got to see the wheat harvests out west, I always wanted to, but I sure do remember those days in the '40s in Indiana. We only had a 5' Allis-Chalmers 60 All-Crop, but we still had to sit in line at the elevator to sell our wheat.

Stan

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Massey is a model 21 because it used canvas in the header; the model 21A had an suger in the header.

The Cockshutt is a SP112; we had 2 of those combines. They were made with heavier gauge metal than the MH combines so they were a bit more reliable; we ran those machines for many years. The Cockshutt Chrysler Industrial Engine had a slightly larger bore and stroke than the Massey engine, which is why the Cockshutt pulled in ahead of the Massey when they started cutting wheat as the Massey couldn't quite keep up with the SP112.

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good video I enjoyed watching it.

R Wyler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What model Cockshutt would have been about like a Super 27? My great grandpa had one here in okla then sold it to my great uncle. I remember my uncle saying that he could go to the Massey dealer and get Super 27 parts that would fit it.

Iowa_tire_guy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was a kid my dad did the harvest run for a few years. We had 3 combines on the trucks pulling trailer houses plus the service truck and at least a couple cars pulling trailers. I remember going through towns and people stopping to watch us pass. It was like being in a parade. I wonder how many days it took for this crew to get from their home to the Texas panhandle in those trucks?

masseypride
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Link to some my family havest photo's.
Harvest Brigade Photos

masseypride
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few more with a few later year pictures.
Harvest Brigade Photos

j hikemper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1st SP combine i ever saw was a Oliver,,My brother and i cut our teeth on Masseys .. I have a 750and 3/ 300s , and a bunch of heads ,brother runs axial-flows ,. sure enjoyed the historical film and massey prides pix ,, keep them out there for the world to see ,custom harvestingis probably over 100 yrs old , it is important to note that after pearl harbor ,, the wheat belt faced a SEVERE LABOR and EQUIPMENT SHORTAGE ,a desperate search for men and equipment reached into Our good neighbors of CANADA ..Cockshutt shukers ,MASSEY HARVEST BRIGADE,IHC,ALLIS GLEANER Baldwins ,Case,and Deeres made the difference.. those shortages spawned the custom harvesters that continue their efforts each yr.

Jim in Sask
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Cockshutt 132 and 137 (successors to the 112 in the video) would probably be the contemporaries of the Super 27. Following those models were the 427 and 428 in the mid to latter 1950's.

The story years ago was Cockshutt hired one of Massey's main combine engineers to design the Cockshutt combine, thus the striking similarity in design. Both companies' factories were in Brantford, Ontario so it may possibly be true. Makes for a good story anyways. Much later in the 1980's Massey bought the rights to the White (formerly Cockshutt) rotary combine, so I guess what goes around, comes around.

Great video by the way.

Redturbo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great video, best part was the W6 at the start of the video. The was a very common tractor in western Canada after the war. Still have G/F's 53 SW6. I have driven most of North America. Im about 4hrs north of Hanna AB were they started. Its close to 2000 miles to the center of Texas. That sure would have been along drive & back in 1949. The west is massive part without alot of people.

cumminspuller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great video! Thanks for posting!

55 50 Ron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cool 1949 Custom Harvest Video Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree nice video and nice tractor at the beginning. Looks like a WD-6 though. Believe the muffler is on the right making it a diesel.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.