Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

old your opinion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
POPGUN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: old your opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old look at heybusdrivers post "need expert advice" on 2-8-13 I told him you and Zane would have a good idea, I am also interested how one could solve the recessed broken stud in the block. TIA

heybusdriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: old your opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I worked on it today , with the help from my brother (John Deere mechanic) I got the head back on , compression test tomorrow and then bolt the rest back up . I think we got it okay , time will tell soon . We drilled it out , didn't scalp any threads .

Stan
9N 222933
2N with 8N motor 8N345567
8N 146710
8N 179555
8N 197904
8N 199000
8N 254079
8N 362039

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: old your opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say drilled it out explain what you did so it may help others. Left hand bit or what??? It helps others if you explain how you did something so then others may be able to use what you did the help them

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: old your opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

POPGUN wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:38:28 02/09/13) old look at heybusdrivers post "need expert advice" on 2-8-13 I told him you and Zane would have a good idea, I am also interested how one could solve the recessed broken stud in the block. TIA

I have an old block and I intentionally snapped a few studs off in it to try different techniques:
  1. You can easily to set the block on the table of a large drill press or mill. From there drilling/milling the bolt out is darn near trivial.
  2. I had high hopes for the "heat it and blow it out" with a cutting torch idea. My torch skills must need honing because I got the bolt out along with quite a bit of the bolt hole wall Embarassed
  3. Didn't have time to try the welded nut idea but I will when i get a chance. My welding skills are about on par with my cutting torch skills and all I have is an old Lincoln stick welder. I wouldn't even think about going after a bolt below the surface. I'd weld it to the block for sure.Film at 11.....
TOH

heybusdriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: old your opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd rather wait and see if we were successful, it's not like it was . give me a day or two. I may have to do more work on it, Thanks

Stan
9N 222933
2N with 8N motor 8N345567
8N 146710
8N 179555
8N 197904
8N 199000
8N 254079
8N 362039

L. B,
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: old your opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dont have the lg press or a mill. It was the bolt broke inside in a recess. I would only be able to drill it. ez out or tap.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.