Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Seals for Valve Guides

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmerHR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am redoing the valve train on a 1948 8N that has been converted to 12 volts and has a front distributor.
The gasket set that came with my rebuilding kit has 8 valve seals.
The Ford I&T manual and the
Ford Owners Manual do not say anything about the valve guide seals. I remember reading that the seals only go on the intake valve guides.
Is this correct ? If so, why did they put 8 seals in the gasket kit ?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Farmerhr........yep, 8-seals 'cuz there are 8-valves. They put 8-seals in the kit to make you ask questions. ONLY the 4-intake valves can suck oil. Seals prevent that. Otherwize you will complain about yer new engine smokey exhaust. HOT EXHAUST valves BLOW oil out their stems and seals won't prevent that. Throw away the other 4-seals. Simple, eh?

Surprizingly euff, being converted to 12-volts or having the weird 4-nipple frontmount dizzy has 'nuttin' to do with intake valve seals. .........respectfully, the smokeless Dell

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Dell ya need to look at what I had to say about your hog panel grounding device on an electric fence question.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LB.........hog-panel uses the mineral content of the TOP-SOIL for conductivity. When you drive just a single ground round, and I don't care how deep, only the top 1-ft of the ground rod contacts the soil. Ittza surface area effect. Hog-panels are 1/4" rod on 6-in square squares. I've buried a hog-panel ground on my RockyRidge SheepStation rocky ground for use with my New Zealand 8,000-volt pulse chargers. The sheep really respect the plastic twine that is snapped thru 6-in insulated holders. ........Dell, the GROUNDED shocker

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Virtually all gasket sets come with many extra gaskets etc. in order to reduce inventorying costs. One set on the shelf can be used by 100 customers instead of ten so the store can get away with two instead of twenty.

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Chineese don't read English too good!

Only on intakes.

Zane

J. schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those seals & guides are (were) also used on the V-8 ford flat heads. So they are buying the seals from a vendor that packages them 8 to pack for the car & truck guides. Remember that tractor engine is pretty much 1/2 of 239 V-8 flat head.

Harold K

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Please explain why only 1 ft of ground rod touches the soil. I dont get it

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just remember, not everything you read on the internet is the gospel!

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Harold........its the MINERALS in the top-foot of soil that conduct the ELECTRONS that do the SHOCKING. Simple, eh? ........the SHOCKING Dell

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK but, I have built miles and miles and miles of elec an never had a problem. And as you may know a fence is only a bluff.

FarmerHR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hiu Folks,
Thank you all for the help. I really appreciate your efforts.
Will only use the seals on the intake valves.
Best Wishes.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell (WA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:24:59 02/10/13) Harold........its the MINERALS in the top-foot of soil that conduct the ELECTRONS that do the SHOCKING. mple, eh? ........the SHOCKING Dell

Being as how I went to school for geology I have to ask how you keep your minerals in the top twelve inches of soil. I always thought that you got a fair amount of rain in WA.

Ken(Ark)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Seals for Valve Guides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

J. schwiebert wrote:

Remember that tractor engine is pretty much 1/2 of 239 V-8 flat head.

Other than the pistons , and valve train components , what parts or gaskets interchange ? Most valve train parts are the same on all flathead fords .

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters