Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Oliver 99 clutch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon F
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I inherited my grandpa's 1949 Oliver 99 some time ago. I just got it back out and had some work to do with it on our farm and the clutch is out! Yesterdays tractor parts dept is telling me they will either have to match parts or get the clutch rebuilt because the clutch is no longer available. Wondered if anyone has done this on one of these?? I would really like to know what I am getting into before I start splitting the tractor!!

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not on a 99,but the last two clutches I've done,Super 55 and a 1020 Deere,I sent them to Clutch Dynamics in Lansing Michigan and had them rebuilt. I think they were $75 each if memory serves me right. I don't see why the 99 would be much different.

Brandon F
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you!! Any pitfalls that I need to keep a heads up for while working on this project??

J. Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will need to look to make sure but I don't think you split it. Do you have a shop book? That pulley assembly is heavy!I don't remember if they all used the same clutch either! J.

oliver90owner
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't think you split, you just remove the belt drive housing to get at the clutch. Have you adjusted the clutch (not the pedal and rod)? There is a fair amount of adjustment if it hasn't been worn too much and might save a lot of work and cost.

oliver90owner
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 90s have a big spiral spring.

Brandon F
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you adjust the clutch?? I have adjusted alot of semi and 4 wheel drive tractor clutches (versatile), but I cannot figure out how to get to this one.. It looks like the engine, transmission and rearend is in one framework that is nearly solid.. What am I missing??

oliver90owner
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are missing the clutch adjustment cover, held on by 4 bolts. Destructions are in the operator's manual for both the 80s and 90s with dimensions for the clutch setting (flywheel to clutch cover face). Half a dozen bolts to loosen and then turn the clutch cover (one way or the other). Simple job.

My Dad adjusted the linkage of ours back in the 1950's and when I sorted it out after I acquired it, I adjusted the clutch as per the book. The book says do not adjust the pedal linkage.

J. Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Semi as in a spicer (Eaton now ) clutch. Those are pull type clutches, you are working on a push type clutch. I will look it up but not tonight.

Brandon F
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok tell me exactly which books i need and I will order them tomorrow. I have ordered books for other things and they were not worth the paper they wasted to print them.. If these are accurate I need to get them!!

oliver90owner
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I said before, the operator's manual is exactly adequate for adjustment details, but not for replacement. Workshop manual would be required for that, if you are needing the extra details. It is 1920's technology (if the spiral spring type) so not that complicated. Just built like the proverbial brick bog.

Don N
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 99 clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would like to talk to someone that's adjusted the clutch on an Oliver 99. Mine has been slipping and haven't had any luck trying to adjust it. Thanks. Don 573-445-0118 don@mppa.net

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters