Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 5000 diesel. What oil?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillinAZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1968 5000 diesel. Would it be ok to use something like 15-40 Rotella in the engine, or should I stay with single weight oil. Mostly used in warm weather. Thanks for your opinions.

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

15-40 is just fine. All big-boy diesels (Cat, Cummins, etc.) run that as well.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

15w40 c rated in most areas.. or 10w30 C rated in arctic areas.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bern wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:17:27 02/11/13) 15-40 is just fine. All big-boy diesels (Cat, Cummins, etc.) run that as well.

Bern, Cat and some others are now using a factory fill of 10W-30 CJ-4.

In the OPs 5000 I would suggest 15W-40 or straight 30, unless he's up on the plateau where it gets chilly.

I sure wouldn't use Rotella in it though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not a rotella user so have to ask?
is rotella a bad oil or something?

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Evidence would suggest that Rotella is a sludge maker just like Pennsoil used to be (and maybe still is) in a gasoline engine.

The are better oils out there than Rotella!

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i can remember way back when i may have used it a couple times.. but none in the last 10ys. it's not a comoonly sold oil here.

mobile delvac and delo and motorcraft and valvoline plus the store brands are what you see mostly here. mobile is probbaly the most common..

flyingace
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry NCKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:07:00 02/11/13)
Evidence would suggest that Rotella is a sludge maker just like Pennsoil used to be (and maybe still is) in a gasoline engine.

The 'evidence' usually turns out to be studies conducted by the competition.

WGWKy2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We use 15-40 in all our tractors except one that is going to feed or push snow then 10-30 but go back to 15-40 in the summer. The brand is the color of the jug, I don,t put the jug in the crankcase so it doesn't matter. 50 years no bearing or cam problums.

Brian in MA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been using Rotella exclusively in all my diesels for as long as I can remember. I know several contractors and truckers who have been running it for millions of miles too in on and off highway diesels. There is always something better, but I haven't seen the sludging problems that are reported. Rotella is a common product around here, it's in every farm, car and truck store, and until this post today I had never heard that it wasn't a good product.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that's why i asked.. I hadn't heard anything about it either.

in fact.. the last time I heard about a truly 'bad' oil was quaker state.. adn that was decades ago.

I run walmart or tractor supply oil in my tractors mainly. a couple get different oils ( motorcraft, and 1 is on syn, as are my trucks.. etc.. )

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

flyingace wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:01:57 02/11/13)
Larry NCKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:07:00 02/11/13)

The 'evidence' usually turns out to be studies conducted by the competition.

I disagree! The evidence is in engines opened up for one reason or another.

Shoepeg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably foolish to change the manufacturer of my oil, right? As far as I know rotella has been used in my 2000 Ford forever.

Brian in MA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After reading this thread I googled rotella trying to find some kind of research or expert analysis proving that there is a problem and I can't find anything. I won't stop using it until I see something concrete that makes me want to find a better oil.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 diesel. What oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rotella is fine, just pulled a diesel apart with 7000 hours on it, zero sludge, do not believe the wives tails.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.