Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oliver 770

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HWRC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Oliver 770 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a chance to buy a neighbors Oliver 770 for $1500. He says the Hi/Lo does not work properly. How much is entailed to repair, and is it worth it?

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 770 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's worth the money to buy the tractor,but I don't know if it's worth fixing the hi-low on those. They weren't like the HydraPower on the 4 digits. They weren't real complicated,just a weak design. A lot of them have just been taken out and done away with.

HWRC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 770 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never owned an Oliver, so I don't know how they're supposed to work. He says you have to keep messing with the lever just to get it to move - does this make sense? Can I remove the Hi/Lo myself? I consider myself a fair JD mechanic with all the tools I will need, unless it requires a specility tool. Many thanks for your reply!!!

Larry Hyde
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 770 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it moves alright in direct and you have to jiggle and fool with the stick to get underdrive, it's the sprague clutch. Haven't priced one lately, but shouldn't be too much. Not that hard to fix for most of us tinkerers. It's a nice thing to have when it works right.
If your having problems with direct as well as under you'll need new clutch discs, or get the old ones redone. Again not that hard a fix.

chucksoliver77
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 770 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HWRC, I had a 770 with the power booster that i used for tractor pulling and landscape work. it held up good with 90+ horsepower in front of it,(15years). if you are going to use it for farm work they make the trans hard to shift unless you put it in low range first, pta. for general work i would take it out and i think you will like the tractor a lot better. changing over is not a big job once you get the necessary parts. if you can work on a JD the Oliver will be a piece cake for you. just my thoughts, chuck

Last edited by chucksoliver77 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 770 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use two 770's in my hay operation for tedding/raking and the '58 has the hi/lo and I love it. Personally, I'd fix it.

chucksoliver77
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 770 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry NEIL wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:26:51 02/12/13) I use two 770's in my hay operation for tedding/raking and the '58 has the hi/lo and I love it. Personally, I'd fix it.
Larry, I agree with you, I think that they are great for that type of work and the shift from high to low and back is nice and smooth. Chuck

Last edited by chucksoliver77 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
j williams
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 770 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I replaced the spraug clutch in my 880 it is not that hard to do. How ever I used a spraug clutch for a White 2-105, a lot cheaper in price. has been in for three years works fine.Get a service manual it will show you step by step how to replace it.Also once you have completed it, I was told to keep the fluid level in the trans one quart high. Also we did the same with my brothers 880 last year his has been fine

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.