Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8N Pricing Update

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin King
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a nice conversation with an acquaintance of mine last night who repairs for re-sale N series tractors (as I do). He's in the St. Cloud area (central MN).

Last month he sold his latest project, an 8N, for $4,000. He does a couple of Ns a year. He had the tractor for sale for about 3 months before it sold.

His work is thorough, and though not every tractor can be sold at this price, this illustrates that our tractors are probably worth more than we think they are.

Colin, MN

NY 986
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm kind of surprised they can still fetch that kind of money even with somebody going through them. The same thing with Farmall H's going over 2,000 dollars and M's going over 2,500 dollars not having new rear tires. A couple of the annual auctions where people pay these kinds of prices are coming up so I may just have to attend one for a change.
Compact tractors have been around over a quarter of a century now and that has pushed the price down considerably on the older gasoline tractors.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Colin I think most of us value a tractor based on condition and average selling price. Sure a guy may get more than that for a really nice one that was restored right but buyers willing to spend 4K for an N are few and far between. I know you have seen the CL ads with a rusty N, poor tires asking 2500. Go see just how many of those sell for the asking price.

Then the numbers may not add up. Do a 1200 dollar engine rebuild, a thousand dollars worth of rubber, couple of hundred in paint and that much again in the lift system or clutch and add in the purchase price of the tractor there isn't much room for profit. And if you had to rebuild the steering gear or buy new tin for it plus doing the genny and starter and even at 4K you could be upside down on it.

Rick

Colin King
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rick,

I tend to I agree with you that $4k is higher than I would be willing to ask for an N. But this fellow is not a novice at this - he's sold a number of Ns at this price. That would suggest to me that the market is better than the common perception.

And yes, I expect a good running 9N/2N in our area should be around $2,500 and an 8N to be around $3,000. However, I've expected those prices for nearly 10 years now, and I think a little inflation adjustment might be in order.

Colin

nondem
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do 8N prices seem to be going up at all in general?

I am still amazed at how many are around considering only a little over a 500,000 were made. You would think the numbers would be dwindling down and prices going up here someday soon.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know Colin, I paid 1700 for the 8N with the vertical exhaust on it this past Aug. I see lots of em for sale in the 1700-2500 range. Here you not only have the veggie farmers buying them plus a lot of the guys who own 10-20 acres of "rec" land and the collector while in other areas the demand just isn't there. So yea, here they are worth a bit more. When I 1st started looking for one a few years ago they were getting 2K and up for 8Ns. I thought I did real good to get a runner at 2K. Lot of the 120 HP tractors in this area that bring 7-20K bring 5 K in areas with little demand. Go look at what a Farmall H is bringing around here. Not worth much. Too many and no demand. This past year I saw several go at auction running for under 1K. Saw a 830 Case, 706 IH and a D17 AC with hydraulic loader, all gas, all decent rubber and OK tin sell for 1700-1795 at an auction in Perham last fall. Too big for the little guy/deer plots and too small for the BTO. Add in that they were popular tractors in thier day so there are lots around. Still 4 K for an N seems real high even for this area.

Rick

CJ in Michigan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The last tractor I bought was an 881 for $2800. It had some implements that I didn"t need and sold for about $400- so $2400 for the 881, bringing it in the price range of an 8N. Looking at our local Craigslist 600s and 800s are fairly cheap right now-

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nondem wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:05:10 02/12/13) Do 8N prices seem to be going up at all in general?

I am still amazed at how many are around considering only a little over a 500,000 were made. You would think the numbers would be dwindling down and prices going up here someday soon.

500K in a 4 year run. That's a fantastic run for tractors! And many people keep fixing em and using em so most are not going to the scrap yard. One big killer of the value of an N is the compact utility tractors (CUT). When all that was available in the estate tractor size was limited to the old utility tractors the value was up. Enter the CUT's, now you can buy a fancy diesel with live hydraulics and a loader with PS.

IF the econemy improves values will go back up as more people can afford to but them.

Rick

Jimbo's 8n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ll sell you mine for 2000.

NY 986
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good running 9N/ 2N that the appearance is average at best would sell around 1,000 dollars here. 8N and NAA are the ones where people can get a little wacky especially at an auction. Why people would pay 3-4 thousand for 8N versus a 600 or 800 of similar condition is beyond me.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Colin, just saw your CL ad. If you are getting that much for them I may have to start fixing and selling 8Ns.

Rick

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Colin King wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:25:39 02/12/13) Had a nice conversation with an acquaintance of mine last night who repairs for re-sale N series tractors (as I do). He's in the St. Cloud area (central MN).

Last month he sold his latest project, an 8N, for $4,000. He does a couple of Ns a year. He had the tractor for sale for about 3 months before it sold.

His work is thorough, and though not every tractor can be sold at this price, this illustrates that our tractors are probably worth more than we think they are.

Colin, MN

Found this add this morning in POrtland, Oregon craigslist.. NOT MINE!

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/grd/3605961993.html

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look what N-Complete gets? I dont know how many they sell at that price. Tractor House has every price imaginable and ebay is people looking for give away price,I guess whatever someone will pay.

BMACK518N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know! If I was going to pay $4,000 for an 8N it better look and perform so well that I wouldn't have to post a thread on the forum for help.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Pricing Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look at what they get but the question is out of all the 8Ns sold every year how many are they selling? Same things with ads. Listed price and what it sells for may a lot different.

Rick

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.