Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spark plug vs electric fence voltage question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Spark plug vs electric fence voltage question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After getting a jolt from the electric fence charger when I was checking to see if it worked I wondered how it compared to a spark plug voltage zap?
I can see how it works...after that initial whack it took a lot of willpower to grab hold of the fence wire to test it!!!
Thankfully it is the pulsed type - not sure I would want to hang on to one of the constant voltage type! Shocked

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug vs electric fence voltage question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lee........my New Zealand electric fence voltage tester measures 10,000 volt peak. Your tractor sparkies should test at least 17,000 volts. My transistorized electronic sparkie will ker-zapp yer butts with 40,000 volt peak. .........Dell, yer self-appointed sparkie-meister

Ken-Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug vs electric fence voltage question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You mentioning grabbing a live spark plug , bring back memories of when I was a kid . My Dad was top notch Ford mechanic After his day at the Ford dealership , he"d do work on peoples cars in the driveway . That was back when points , condensor & rotor caps were replaced to give engines more umph . Dad wouldn"t teach me anything at all pertaining to mechanics , so my job was to hand him a certain tool , & clean up . Dad would see me busy & holler out : Kenneth , here catch . What he threw at me was the old condensor . Has anybody here had the experience or pleasure of a live & hot condensor inside a clenched hand ? It will definitely raise a couple hairs . then another trick he"d pull on me is when he was doing dome welding on a vehicle , especially when it was a rainy dat & of course my shoes were pretty wet , he"d have me hold a piece of steel in place until he could get ittacked in place . The results were quite shocking - to say the least .Oh the memories I carry . God blesss, Ken

pconnie..ks.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug vs electric fence voltage question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

an easier way to check elec. fence is to pee on it..

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug vs electric fence voltage question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you can make a cheap fence tester with a neon bulb or buy one for about 5$ that will show spark intensity based on # of lamps that light up.. etc.

Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug vs electric fence voltage question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell (WA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:49:49 02/12/13) Lee........my New Zealand electric fence voltage tester measures 10,000 volt peak. Your tractor sparkies should test at least 17,000 volts. My transistorized electronic sparkie will ker-zapp yer butts with 40,000 volt peak. .........Dell, yer self-appointed sparkie-meister

thanks - I think mine is made in new zealand too - I am off to the store to find double insulated lead out wire and some insulators and see if i can re- wire the thing.
If I go to home depot and ask for double insulated wire would they have it in bulk rolls? need 14 gague

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug vs electric fence voltage question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best way to test a fence like that is to take a long piece of grass and lay the end of it on the fence. Slowly push it forward so the distance between the fence and your hand closes up. If the fence is working you will start to feel a jolt but not so bad as to hurt. Cheap easy and not unpleasant

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.