Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine for Horse Troy Built

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Engine for Horse Troy Built Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guy gave me a Horse Troy Built. Engine, tires shot.
Anybody know what engine I can get to replace it? It bolts to both the bottom, & the side where the shaft comes out.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine for Horse Troy Built Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put a BS on mine, bolted right up.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine for Horse Troy Built Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 10hp B&S engine from the smallengine warehouse for about $450.00. You need to get a replacement engine for a Troy Bilt tiller so it has the hole pattern and the 3/4 " shaft. Smallenginewarehouse has an 11hp B&S engine for the Troy Bilt Horse model tiller. Cost is $450.00 plus shipping. That's the same engine they used on their Big Red tillers. Here's their part number on that engine. 256422-Troy-R2. Here's a picture of my tiller and it has electric start. Hal

steve_in_mo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine for Horse Troy Built Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put an ad on Craigslist - or look around at a small engine/mower shop. They are probably going to have one with a good engine and tires and a blown out transaxle. They go cheap. Almost all the MTD-built lawn tractors use the same parts.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Engine for Horse Troy Built Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can't use just any engine. You need one that has 4 tapped holes for installing item 34 in this parts breakdown. Hal

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine for Horse Troy Built Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2 ways, if it has the TB serial # tag, you can google it, and find it that way. Other way is to find the model, serial and code #, stamped on the sheet metal of the motor.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine for Horse Troy Built Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want to go cheap the 6.5 HP engine that Habor Freight sells (Predator) bolts right in too. I had an old one with the HH60 Tecumseh on it that was on its last legs - that cheap little Chinese built engine ($99 when on a good sale) really woke it up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engines/horizontal-engine-gasoline-epa-212cc-ohv-7hp-69730.html

Looks like they "upped" the power (or at least the rating) to 7 HP.

Jerry Coulter
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine for Horse Troy Built Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one in my junk. I picked it up by a dumpster. Looks like it fell off a truck. Castings are broken. Has a 7 hp Kohler, seems OK except carb burnt. Tractor lug tires are good. Might be good as a parts source for one like yours. Located in IL 50 mi SE of St. Louis. Available early April when I return from FL.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.