Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need to rig up something...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Need to rig up something... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some ijit ran down a sign I made out of some farm junk, and I need to make a patch, does anyone know what the ID of a 4" schedule 40 coupler is? I need about 4-1/2" to 4-5/8" ID, to slip over the broken ends of the signpost, and attach all together with set screws. If it's a little tight, I can turn the ID to what I need, if it has thick enough side walls. Any other pipe out there, with a 4-1/2" ID??

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to rig up something... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave ,

How thick and how long ? I have a 7" dia

piece of cored stock with 3" hole , can bore to

fit.

george

Cliff Nelson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to rig up something... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OD of 4 inch pipe is 4 1/2 inches so you could bore the threads out of a coupling to get what you need.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need to rig up something... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer, George. I think I can find the coupler local. Have you ever seen a tobacco prize screw? That is what I'm using as a signpost. Can't weld it at the end of the driveway, AND it's cast iron! Whoever did it, will be in for a surprise, if they try it again, I have some sharp improvements ready for them!

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need to rig up something... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

shcedule 40 plastic ,4.5 inches od with a wall thickness of .237"
steel pipe, has the same od, but the wall thickness varies by the wt of pipe . std wt black/galv pipe is the same as schedule 40 pvc
IF you use a threaded steel/sch 40pvc threaded coupling,turning the threads out should make a slip coupling. if this is what you need,and its strong enough, a sch 40 glue coupling should slide over either snuggly. problem may be putting your set screws in a pvc coupling. even though its very easy to tap, threads would strip easily. in that case,or if its a problem, a schedule 80 pvc slip coupling would have thicker sidewalls but the same id,IF you could find one of course. most normal pvc couplings will have a stop inside, if thats a problem look for whats known as a slip/repair coupling its exactly the same without the stop. hope this helps!

KLS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to rig up something... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A regular 4" pipe coupling should be about perfect for you, to buy pipe to fit would be very expensive.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to rig up something... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably can't find one too easily but a 4 in socket weld coupling would work nicely.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to rig up something... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I got 'er licked. Stopped by my friend, the starter and generator rebuilder, gonna try a generator housing. Gotta take the core apart, to see if she'll fit! I did hammer in 2 half t-posts, right into the wheel tracks, where the SOB backed up the bank, to KO the sign post. I cut them at a 45 degree angle, so they WILL flatten tires!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.