Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horses working on the Farm Pictures

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of you asked for some horses working on the farms. These are just a few I have.

Kornfused

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nice pics - thanks John

Harvey 2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like pictures such as these. It looks like the first one has mules and it looks like a Wallis tractor.

RusselAZ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Dad, his team Major and Raven and his German shepard "Tex". Next is Dad and team and his faithful dog "Tex" working snow in the yard 1944

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Love the pics and thanks so much for posting.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those look like some big horses Russel. Thanks for sharing.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes those are Mules, Harvey. Not sure what kind of tractor that is.

Wheat Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Love these old pictures. I have some and I wonder sometimes what the Camera people was standing on. Anyone know?

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad farmed mostly with mules for years, but there were only 2 old ones left when I was born. He still had 3 teams of horses by then and went down to 1 team when he got tractors.

I think it was a hard day for him when he sold the last team in 1950, even though they hadn't been used for a couple years.

LittleD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One thing I notice when viewing the old photos......most of the people are thin and not over weight. Must have been a lot of work following those teams around.

IlliniJohn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, people physically worked hard and didn't eat the amout we eat today, thus stayed slender.

I remember hearing Great-Uncles telling fat people "You must be doing all right" - -if you were fat, you had it made!!

John

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a pic, of Dad holding Major and Don, in front of the farmhouse on Clinton Camp Farm in 1924. Gramp went into the house for something before he went to the field.
We are close to rock here (Limestone Bedrock) with many crevises. Back then Gramp was expanding the tillable acerage and there were many hidden crevises. One day Don fell into one and became wedged. Gramp and his brother tried lifting and pulling on Don for hrs, until Don had lost all his ability to continue struggling. Gramp had to go back to the house and get the gun and end the struggle. When ever Dad told the story it brought tears to his eyes. After that they tried replacements, for Don, but Major, the big beige, would not work with any of them.
Loren, the Acg.

Nancy Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great pics.

One item on my bucket list: learn to drive a 6 up.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I only have one memory of dad's team, working up the garden. I must have been 2 or 3, so would have been '50 or '51. He bought the 8N about then, so that was the end of horse farming at our place.

We've got a good picture of him and the team- it might be worth finally getting my scanner figured out, so I could post it.

BIG RUH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Horses working on the Farm Pictures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, do you know if the tractor is a Wallis in the top picture?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.