Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FSM, steering arm removal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Hare
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: FSM, steering arm removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Me again chaps,

Any ideas how to remove the steering arm from steering box?
Min'e leaking.
Not much room for a puller as far as I can see, and can't pry against aluminium steering box without risk of breaking it...

Any help most appreciated!

Richard.

Mike Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: FSM, steering arm removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If all else fails. Remove the box from the tractor. Loosen the retaining nut. Hold the whole thing by the steering arm. have someone else hold the steering columb. Hit the nut hard and straight with a big hammer and the box SHOULD fall off the arm. It works. Mike

Richard Hare
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: FSM, steering arm removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That sounds like it'll work Mike.
Was hoping to get it off in situ, but if all else fails I'll do that!

Best,
Richard.

Mike Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: FSM, steering arm removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A slide hammer should work if you can get a grip on it.

Richard Hare
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: FSM, steering arm removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll let you know what happens, Mike.
It's an awkward thing to get a grip of!

Richard Hare
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: FSM, steering arm removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike,

Just to let you know I got steering arm off today.
I ground down a 2-legged puller, so it was narrow enough to get behind the arm.
Bit of tightening and belting on the end and off it came.
Just as well, as seal was pushed out.
Box has ice in it, so need to drain.
Mind it was -10C and good wind blowing today, so will have to wait to thaw out, as old tractor is outside....

Thanks again,
Richard.

Mike Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: FSM, steering arm removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats brilliant. Good shot Mike

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: FSM, steering arm removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found that is the only time something needs fixed, is when the wind is blowing and it is around zero outside and snowing or raining.

Richard Hare
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: FSM, steering arm removal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Retired,

You're not kidding!
Broke an axle on my bale truck a while ago, couldn't get it up the hill back to the yard because of all the ice and snow.
pulled it apart at -20C laid in a snowdrift
Wind blowing like there was no tommorow...Axle when it broke jammed and broke parts of the diff, so wound up changing the whole rear end.
A sod of a job in those conditions.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.