Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is my battery pooched? Kinda think it is....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case450
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Is my battery pooched? Kinda think it is.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I installed a master switch between the positive battery terminal and the starter solenoid on my Massey Ferguson 470 wheel loader because the battery would trickle off and die.
While removing the battery cables I noticed the rubber sheathing that coats it was brittle and cracked.
I then cut a heavy gauge jumper cable to replace the battery cable. I welded the switch mounting plate, installed the switch, installed all new connectors and tightened everything down.
While all this was happening I had the battery on the charger. When I put the battery back in I noticed it was fairly hot. The entire battery.

I put the voltmeter to it and it read 12.18 volts. The master switch works properly.

I am thinking this battery is a done deal on account of it not taking much juice but specifically getting hot.

Time for a new battery??

dpendzic
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my battery pooched? Kinda think it is.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

put ma resistance load tester on it and that will tell!

marloweg

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my battery pooched? Kinda think it is.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

12.18 v battery is junk . i changed mine over to truck battery with the bolt terminals and get them at my heavy duty truck dealer 1000cca for 70 some bucks that what i have in all my stuff

steve n carol
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my battery pooched? Kinda think it is.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay.... i did this... it works!!!

in my CASE 450 was a huge CAT battery, it pooped out 3 years ago. At the same time I had a ford skip loader with another BIG battery, (read $$). Ir pooped out too. Both batteries sat in freezing weather for 2 years. I still don't know why both tractors had such BIG batteries???? one is a 3 cyl diesel, and the CASE is 4 cyl diesel. i had an old Sears battery I used to swap back and forth as needed.... I also had bought a generator/welder, that had a small12v battery, A two year battery. It pooped out a year ago.

8 months ago, I used a Turkey baster and removed as much electrolyte as I could to that I dumped in almost 2 pint sized cartons of Epson salts, and stirred it until it was all dissolved, it took 3 days and I had to add some distilled water too.

I topped up all three batteries w/the mixture, Charged all three. All of them sat on the Garage floor for 3 months after that.

The CAT was only holding about 10+ volts. it tested a bad cell.
The Ford tractor Battery was 12 + volts, as was the 2 year welder battery. I loaded up the Ford and welder batteries and took them up to my equipment and placed them both in service. I have gone up there 4-5 times since then and they are holding fine despite the freezing temps Smile

Case450
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is my battery pooched? Kinda think it is.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I read about that on the internet but wasn"t sure if it was an urban myth or something...well in this case a country myth lol. I"ll have to try it on this dead battery.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.