Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall 400 Power Steering?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Farmall 400 Power Steering? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am trying to cut out the hydralic reservoir between the steering column and the gas tank. I know that I will have to make a bracket to hold the gas tank and the steering wheel. I am wanting to know if I can run the power steering directly off of the live hydralics pump. Will the power steering work like that or not? And if so how do I make it work?

TJV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 400 Power Steering? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i think that if you run the pump directly from the pump you will have too many gallons per minute as the flow divider sends a galloln or two to the steering and the rest to the hydraulic system you will still need a reservior for oil or the few ounces of oil it takes to just fill the hoses will get hot very fast. just my thoughts and if they are wrong someone please correct me,

armand tatro
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 400 Power Steering? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why in the world would you want to do away with the hyd. tank?! Armand

Nebraska Kirk
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 400 Power Steering? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tinks wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:45:16 02/15/13) I am trying to cut out the hydralic reservoir between the steering column and the gas tank. I know that I will have to make a bracket to hold the gas tank and the steering wheel. I am wanting to know if I can run the power steering directly off of the live hydralics pump. Will the power steering work like that or not? And if so how do I make it work?

No, that will not work. As others have stated the pump puts out a lot more flow than the power steering system needs, without a reservoir the oil will overheat. If I were you I would get a power steering pump that has it's own reservoir. Maybe even adapt a GM power steering pump to run your power steering, my brother used one on his M, works pretty good.

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 400 Power Steering? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't say I would recommend it but a fellow had a M with the same pump that only supplied the power steering and used it for years. It was one of the behlen steering units with the built in reservoir housing. Steered like a dream.
If you want to try you need some kind of fluid reservoir and at least a cross over relief valve between pressure and suction lines.
Must be a puller if you want to remove those parts, most also go to manual steering to save a little more weight and the power lost to turn the pump.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.