Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

naa frontend snow plow

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malecki
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm wanting to mount a front end snow plow (probably 6 ft Meyers)on my NAA. Finding an old Dearborn or Arps attachment is not the easiest thing in the world and I'm not a great welder, but can get by. Anyone know of plans or something relatively simple that I can do?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have any plans or drawings, but my 2N has a home built front plow.
The rails are 2 x 3 tubing with the cross members mounted to the front
bolster and under the rear end where a drawbar attachment would mount.
I think the rear probably could have went to the fender mounts on the axles
like many of the loaders go as well.
This one runs off the 3 pt, but the frame would work for an electric, etc.
If you don't find anything else I can take some measurements and pics for you.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Malecki wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:34:37 02/16/13) I'm wanting to mount a front end snow plow (probably 6 ft Meyers)on my NAA. Finding an old Dearborn or Arps attachment is not the easiest thing in the world and I'm not a great welder, but can get by. Anyone know of plans or something relatively simple that I can do?

The frame for attaching a small Myers plow should be pretty much trivial to fabricate. Are you looking for hydraulic lift and power angle? That would be highly desirable IMO and probably easier to fabricate than a Dearborn style cable lift.

TOH

Malecki
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. Electric hydraulic lift and power angle is the way I'd like to go. As for being trivial to fabricate - that's another story. I can see having a frame that goes to the back of the tractor, but connecting to the front axle seems to require some handiwork. I'd like to keep the plow relatively close to the front end.
The frame for attaching a small Myers plow should be pretty much trivial to fabricate. Are you looking for hydraulic lift and power angle? That would be highly desirable IMO and probably easier to fabricate than a Dearborn style cable lift.

TOH[/quote]

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There a person on the other Board that made one. I
could give him your name if you are interested. I'm
sure he would be glad to share.

Malecki
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. Also appreciate the pic. This is probably the route I'll go if someone doesn't have a better idea. I would imagine there are a number of folks that would like to do this if someone had a reasonabale way to construct a frame for mounting the plow. Electric hydraulic should simplify this - just seems a bit tricky to securely attach a frame to the front.

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:47:58 02/16/13) I don't have any plans or drawings, but my 2N has a home built front plow.
The rails are 2 x 3 tubing with the cross members mounted to the front
bolster and under the rear end where a drawbar attachment would mount.
I think the rear probably could have went to the fender mounts on the axles
like many of the loaders go as well.
This one runs off the 3 pt, but the frame would work for an electric, etc.
If you don't find anything else I can take some measurements and pics for you.

Kirk-NJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This frame is not to hard to fab up using angle iron.

Kirk

Malecki
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. Kirk's pic of the front frame is really good. Much appreciated. "H Cook" - if you could give the fellow on the other board my name, that would be great. I'm guessing he can just transfer over to me. Thank you.

HCooke wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:42:05 02/16/13) There a person on the other Board that made one. I
could give him your name if you are interested. I'm
sure he would be glad to share.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Malecki wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:39:05 02/16/13) Thanks. Electric hydraulic lift and power angle is the way I'd like to go. As for being trivial to fabricate - that's another story. I can see having a frame that goes to the back of the tractor, but connecting to the front axle seems to require some handiwork. I'd like to keep the plow relatively close to the front end.

TOH
[/quote]

I would recommend against attaching anything to the axles. I would suggest using something like this Wagner loader mounting bracket on the front to hang a simple U shaped sub-frame on the front axle support. Run the arms on that sub-frame to the rear axles or one of the Ford provided bolt up points on the underside of the transmission/center section. Make the frame out of 3/16" wall rectangular steel tube and you will have a solid fixed box frame that will hold up the world with no fear of bending. Weld a couple of pins/brackets on the sub-frame as attachment points for the OEM lift arms that are already on the plow.

I wouldn't mess with electric anything on an NAA. Aside from the high cost of an electric power unit the NAA electrical system is woefully inadequate. You have plenty of nearly free hydraulic power available straight from the tractor. Plumb a directional control valve, cylinder(s) and some hose and fittings into the tractor hydraulic system and you are good to go. Use quick connects for the plow hydraulic lines and you also have general purpose hydraulic remotes for other uses.

I have an older 6-1/2' Myers plow that will be going on my 8N using that exact scheme andteh setup -n the pictures "when I get the time". I've done quite a few hydraulic add-ons for the N-series and NAA - give me a call if you'd like some more thoughts.

TOH

oldhokie@verizon.net

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll second TOH about not having anything pushing on that front axle.
They're not designed to handle that kind of directional force.
Not to mention the front axle swivels on a center pin so the tires can move
up and down on the sides. Anything mounted to it would also pivot.
The bracket he pictured is similar to my front mount on my 2N.
Mine just bolts on with the bolster. No real magic.
Front mount basically holds it up and it pushes from the rear mount.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Malecki wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:39:05 02/16/13) Thanks. Electric hydraulic lift and power angle is the way I'd like to go. As for being trivial to fabricate - that's another story. I can see having a frame that goes to the back of the tractor, but connecting to the front axle seems to require some handiwork. I'd like to keep the plow relatively close to the front end.

TOH
[/quote]

Here is a page from the Ford parts manual showing the snow plow/dozer frame developed for the NAA. The subframe is part number 1 which simply bolts to the bottom of the front axle bolster in the front and attaches in the rear using the tapped holes in the underside of the transmission case. It should be easy to fabricate something similar from some rectangular tube and angle if you can weld even modestly well.

Your plow will have lift arms similar to the ones on part number 2 in the picture. Weld some brackets to your sub-frame for attaching the plow arms to the subframe using a couple pins just like it attached to a frame on a plow truck All that's left is to weld a vertical member to the front of the sub-frame for attaching your hydraulic lift cylinder.

Enough rectangular tube and angle to make the sub-frame should run you about $100-$150. To fabricate the sub-frame drill some mounting holes in two short lengths of angle and mount them to the underside of the tractor using the attachement points i just desribed. Clamp the two longitudinal tube frame members to the angle brackets and securely tack weld them on the tractor after getting them properly aligned. Then remove the tacked together assembly from the tractor and finish the rest of the welding on the shop floor.

TOH

John Kruer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is how I fit a front blade to my TO30 Fergy. The framework hangs from the front and all the pushing force is to the rear drawbar mount. Cylinder is mounted to a removable mount so as to allow for the hood to be opened.

Badger bob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

malecki if your close to nw iowa i may have something that you could use. Bob

Malecki
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Afraid that NW Iowa may be a stretch for me. I'm in the central part of New York State. Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the great help. This is a really good forum for someone like me. Much appreciated.

Rich Malecki
Newfield, NY
richmalecki@gmail.com

badger bob wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:49:39 02/17/13) malecki if your close to nw iowa i may have something that you could use. Bob

Malecki
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: naa frontend snow plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John - great set of pictures. Thanks.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.