Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bank Job, Bad Day (no pics)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBnSC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Bank Job, Bad Day (no pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The building and vault straight forward and not difficult. The floor was another matter. 10 to 12 inches thick plenty of rebar. We got our other excavator and ended up shattering the floor with our wrecking ball. We would pull the rebar with one machine and scoop the concrete with the other. Thursday the muffler came lose on the machine I was running so while My brother was carrying a load to the recycler I pulled the work truck to it to tighten the exhaust pipe. The nuts on the clamp were frozen so I grabbed the torch and a welding rod and welded a spot enough to keep the pipes from coming apart. A spark popped over to another compartment and started a fire. I looked for an extinguisher where we always kept several, none. last week we had to put a fuel pump in that truck and BIL put the extinguisher under the spare tire. Fire is going pretty good so I grabbed the other excavator and scooped up water out of the hole where the footer had been and in mid swing the machine quit.(the starter shorted out and melted one battery post). Luckily My brother drove up with the dump truck that had a fire extinguisher and put out the fire out. All in all we lost one wire, one hydraulic hose, a starter and a battery. Haven't been that scared in a while.Took half a day and had all back up and running again.
Ron

Vito
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bank Job, Bad Day (no pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Scary stuff.Good to hear you didn't lose the whole machine.My youngest brother went thru something similar with a dash fire in a Chevy pickup he was plowing snow with.

Vito

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bank Job, Bad Day (no pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RB You are lucky... Industry says that if an excavator fire is not put out within the first two minutes the machine is lost. Seems those things burn fast.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bank Job, Bad Day (no pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was close. Glad to hear you got it out in time. Your adrenalin was running in emergency mode for sure. Now you're in for a whole month of good luck. Jim

onefarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bank Job, Bad Day (no pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Took half a day and had all back up and running again."

And the other half to calm back down I bet. Glad it worked out though.

RBnSC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bank Job, Bad Day (no pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right about that. I was shaking like leaf.
Ron

BAnNC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bank Job, Bad Day (no pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad you're OK. Sounds like the machine will be too.
Was the other time spent going behind the building for a change of tidywhities?

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bank Job, Bad Day (no pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Either have a fire watcher or get an ext before starting repair just good sense.

WGWKy2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bank Job, Bad Day (no pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had that happen two too many times once in a boat, all that water ain't worth a d**m in a boat fire. All I can say is a fire extinguisher in a boat is for those that can't swim.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bank Job, Bad Day (no pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad you are ok, and your machine is mostly ok.

Even though it quit on you... pretty good thinking to try and scoop up some water with the other excavator. I don't think that I would not have thought of that in the stress of moment.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.