Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
8N'r--WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Working hard in the deep drifts

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Must be getting hard to find 4 wheel spreaders. When I hauled milk in the early 70s one of the old guys who still did some of his farming with horses bought a brand new New Idea 4 wheeler on rubber.

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't blame the dog if they get stuck!!!
Sam

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not 4 wheels - it has a fore cart on the front.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim what rrlund meant was the old antique 4 wheel manure spreaders are hard to find. So they had to add their cart to the front of this two wheel spreader.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They build new ones and they are expensive but still made. Good used ones bring top money.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great photos, 8N'r.

Dean

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad had an old 4-wheel horse drawn spreader that we used untilhe was able to get a new David Bradley 2-wheel spreader after WWII.

So, I BTDT.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably Mill Creek or Pequea makes'em yet don't they?
I was surprised that they were still availble from New Idea in the early 70s.

HenryO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

last week I saw a four wheeler fairly new with a motorized spreader driver on the front. It was being pulled by two draft horses on an Amish farm near Mt Hope OHio I have also seen several older ones equipped with steering and drive axel and was fitted with seats for people to ride in (at tractor shows)

DoubleR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always wondered how the Amish pulled them two wheel ground driven spreaders with horses. Now I know.

Old Roy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same way they now can bale Hay
with power driven engine.

RWT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw one in Indiana but it didn't have a motor on it.

It's been a while but I think it tires. It had an axle or something in between with gears and the pto hooked to that.

It was going when I saw it (didn't have a camera along) but I would think it would be hard to restart if stopped mid stroke.

RT (I haven't seen it since.)

JMS./MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The same way we pulled the ground driven spreaders in the 50s when I grew up......with a WC, then WD45 tractor. Never had a pto driven spreader back then. And a few winters, when the snow was too deep, wheel barrowed it out of the barn to a pile for a couple months, ...then loaded by hand in the
Spring, cuz we didn't have a manure loader.....same way we cleaned the hog yard and all the pens all those years.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2 H.P. Manure Spreader.....Amish shootin' the s--t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are 5 or 6 concerns making 2 and 4 wheel ground drive spreaders. 2 of them are copies of the NI, so close a lot of the parts interchange.

I got a in a rush and busted the drive axle on the apron chain on my NH PTO spreader. So I'm using my 4 wheel, ground drive NI 10 now. I would be using my McD 200 2 wheel ground drive, which is a better spreader, but I'm in the process of switching the apron chain from "S" to 67H.

With any luck, this spring I'll be spreading with the NI and one of my teams. Fuel is expensive.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.