Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: 30-06 Options

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a question on what"s been chambered for the 30-06. Other than countless bolt action type and the Remington 760/762/7600 pump and 740/742/7400 autoloaders, what other rifles have been chambered for this round? I"d like to get something in 30-06 (my current deer rifle is a 30-40 Krag) but want it a little out of the ordinary. The odder the better.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

M-1 Garand
M1941 Johnson (auto rifle)
Winchester 1895 (lever action)
Winchester 1885 "High Wall" (single shot falling block)
Ruger No. 1 (single shot falling block)
Savage 99 (lever action)
T-C Encore (single shot interchangeable barrel)
Browning BLR (lever action)

Not to mention various class III weapons such as the Browning 1919 machine gun and Browning 1918 Automatic Rifle.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MarkB_MI wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:33:49 02/17/13)
Savage 99 (lever action)
(lever action)

NO, the action is way to short for a 30-06.

Paul Simmer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

H and R did or does make them in a single shot. Years ago I bought eacy of my boys the H and R in a 30 30. Nice little gun.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have an New England arms shot gun you can buy a 30/06 barrel for it plus many other barrels in many sizes

D beatty
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ruger makes in a bolt and single shot NO.1 rifle in 30.06. The 1917 enfields were chambered in the.06. Winchester model 70 - Browning 1895 + the others listed below and list could go on because almost all the major manufactures have made rifles in 30.06.

Rich_WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:00:19 02/17/13) If you have an New England arms shot gun you can buy a 30/06 barrel for it plus many other barrels in many sizes

Nope, shotguns are for shotgun barrels ONLY. Rifles generate higher pressure so they have a different reciever. If you have a rifle, you can have a shotgun barrel fitted to it but not the other way around.

Also, since Remington bought out New England Firearms, they required guns to be sent back to the factory to make sure headspace was correct and the barrel price went up. Its no longer affordable to add a new barrel to your H&R or NEF gun. That ended 2+ years ago IIRC. Now its cheaper and easier to just buy a new gun.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your wrong. When we got both our 20 gauge and the 410 it came with a list of barrels we could buy that fit right on to the stock area of them. So guess the company lists thing that are not but since I know better I will still say you can buy rifle barrels that fit the shot gun stock

Rich_WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:41:47 02/17/13) Your wrong. When we got both our 20 gauge and the 410 it came with a list of barrels we could buy that fit right on to the stock area of them. So guess the company lists thing that are not but since I know better I will still say you can buy rifle barrels that fit the shot gun stock

No, you are wrong.... AGAIN. Shotgun recievers are for shotgun ONLY (although I think they MAY have put on some of the low power pistol calibers on them but certainly NOT 30-06). Rifle recievers can be fitted with shotgun barrels. Get it? 2 different recievers. Heck, if you want to get into talking H&R or NEF guns, we can talk about all the different recievers they made and what can go with what but for now we are talking putting a deadly rifle barrel (30-06) on a shotgun reciever. Thats just a pipe bomb waiting for a good spot to go off.

So, NO, you cant put a 30-06 barrel on a NEF shotgun.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have proof your wrong as per the NRA guide to Rifles and shotguns guns page 109 it flat out states the N.E.F Pardner Shotgun came in 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, and 410-bore Fitted with rifle barrels they became H&R single shot rifles. That is word for word right out of the book so eat your words I am 100% right and have the proof right here. Are they sold today I do not know but when I got my 410 tamer I was offered a 243 barrel with it and did not have the extra $$ to buy it

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have my dads enfield conversion.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:08:10 02/17/13) I have proof your wrong as per the NRA guide to Rifles and shotguns guns page 109 it flat out states the N.E.F Pardner Shotgun came in 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, and 410-bore Fitted with rifle barrels they became H&R single shot rifles. That is word for word right out of the book so eat your words I am 100% right and have the proof right here. Are they sold today I do not know but when I got my 410 tamer I was offered a 243 barrel with it and did not have the extra $$ to buy it

The shotgun frames are cast iron(SB1 frame), the rifle Frames are steel(SB2 frame). The only rifle barrels that can be safely used on the shotgun frame(SB1) are the .357mag and 44mag. H&R/NEF/Remington even refuse to supply new barrels for the rifle(SB2) frames that are more than 10 years old or so.

Rich_WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:08:10 02/17/13) I have proof your wrong as per the NRA guide to Rifles and shotguns guns page 109 it flat out states the N.E.F Pardner Shotgun came in 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, and 410-bore Fitted with rifle barrels they became H&R single shot rifles. That is word for word right out of the book so eat your words I am 100% right and have the proof right here. Are they sold today I do not know but when I got my 410 tamer I was offered a 243 barrel with it and did not have the extra $$ to buy it

For 1) you didnt post any proof, you could have made anything up and said it was in your owners manual or where ever you are claiming you got your "proof". Scan it and post it up or provide a link. 2) any idiot knows that the NRA guide doesnt put in every detail in their book so any quote from the NRA guide would be invalid anyway. For my proof of that, does the NRA guide list all the different recievers that H&R/NEF makes and how they go together with the different barrels? Nope, proof that the NRA guide dont even touch the tip of the iceberg. 3) why wouldnt you just go to the source to see if Im right or not? Are you afraid you would be proven wrong? (I know the answer but Im throwing it out there anyway)

Here, let me answer #3 for you. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=new+england+firearms+accessory+barrel+program Its right in the first link, straight from the horses mouth. http://www.hr1871.com/support/accessoryprogram.asp I would think, if anybody would know what New England Firearms is doing and selling for their guns, it would be them, dont you think? Well there you have it, proof posative that you CANT just slap a 30-06 barrel on a shot gun reciever. Besides, who is going to sell you one? NEF wont sell just the barrel, theymake you send them in, just like I told you and like it printed on their web page. Its not cheap, just like I told you and the same thing is printed on thier web page. Doing that is making a pipe bomb but Im sure for liability reasons, they dont explain it the same way I do but if you call them on the 800 number they list, they will tell you its quite unsafe.

Bottom line, you CANT put a 30-06 barrel on a shotgun reciever.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK guys, let"s cut to the chase...
H&R firearms does offer repalcement barrels for some of their firearms. Problem is which receiver you have. Shotgun receivers are different from their rifle receivers. They are not interchangable. Some of the rifle receivers are not eligible for transplants, either. Check their website for further details: http://www.hr1871.com/support/accessoryprogram.asp

(I have access to several H&Rs and am pleased with them, fun to shoot, more accurate than they ought to be.)
H&R barrel accesory program

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: 30-06 Options Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That maybe so now but back when we got the 410 and the 20 gauge which was when it was still New England arms they did in fact offer rifle barrels. Note I did say I do not know if they STILL and note STILL sold them but know they did at one time but that too was 10 plus years ago

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.