Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats for lunch/Supper!!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well a big pot of chili. I am the cook today. Here is how I make it.

4 Lbs hamburger
1 Lb sausage
1 gallon tomato juice
2 quarts diced tomatoes(ran through the blender)
8 cans of kidney beans(juice and all)
4 cups of shell macaroni(sometimes use rice)
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cups choped onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

I then add more chili powder to taste.

Then a big handful of cheddar cheese in each bowl when served.

Yes I know it not healthy but where is the fun in eating things that taste like sawdust??? LOL

Even with this big pot we usually just have a meal or two left. Sundays the kids/grandkids swing in and out.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds better that the stuff the kids make these days. they all seem to out do each other with how many hot peppers they can put in. I try to tell them that HOT is not a flavor,it just covers up flavor,but they seem more interested in making one another sweat.

The wife's got a beef roast in the over,with onions and carrots. She made a big batch of home made potato salad last night,so I'm eating good today when the roast is done!

Randysouthmississippi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ill have to give that blend a try. I love to cook and always like to try new reciepe (sp) i cant spell . lol.
How much rice do you use when you sub for shells.

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thru some beef shank with water in the oven before church.

Came home deboned it, added corn, peas, carrots, chopped onion, barley, celery to the beef broth. It made some of the best Vegetable Soup I have had in a long time.

Chili for supper.

Gary

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't even mention Hamburger over here....Our big supermarkets have got caught out selling horsemeat in burgers....Big, big scandal, even the hospitals have been feeding it to the patients. Nothing wrong with horse meat ...but this stuff has come in from Eastern Europe and dear knows where else, and is not tracable at all, so could contain Bute and other nasty drugs that no amount of hot peppers could cure! The Jews/Muslims are not so happy either as some of these burgers also contained pig meat!!!!!
I think I will stick to good old fashioned steak or do without!
Sam

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About 2 cups uncooked rice. I like brown over white. Barley works too. Randy

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know about not draining the beans! I always drain and rinse them! Lol, I put chicken chilli on the wood stove for the day. Chicken breast cut up, green bell pepper, diced tomatoes, chilli powder, onion, minced garlic, salt pepper ect.. The wind is really howling up here, it's 8 degrees with the wind chil!

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sam the burger I use was walking around here on the farm a few months ago. The sausage I buy a few hogs each year and have them processed as well.

I give the kids all the meat they use as well. My Dad and his second wife get some too. I often trade burger to friends for fish and chicken. I have two that raise each.

I have a small local locker process all my meat. The owner and I where in Nam together. So I am pretty sure I am getting my meat back.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Better not head up to Sweden,they make bologna out of it. First day my son was there moose hunting,they gave him a sandwich. After a few bites they told him he was eating retired race horse. He didn't give them the pleasure of even flinching. Said he ate it the whole time he was there. Said it was good.

dino in iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I was near I would like to sample a bowl.
The Iowa folks are just good at what they do best.
A nice inviting atmosphere. good food.
keep on keepen on. Dean

Charlie M
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The healthy crap is for people that never leave their couch. Looks like a good recipe to me. Any of it home grown?

The Red
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mrs. Red has a very similar recipe. I call it Cherokee chili since she is part Cherokee. She will use hamburger one time, turkey another but sausage in both. I really cannot taste the difference between the two. She also has a chicken version but it has a totally different taste to it.

RickieBlue
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I will warm up half of the prime rib I made for Valentines Day..it was the best I have had in at least 10 years..bought it at a local butcher shop....

The Red
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I wasn't flying weekend cross countries, Vance AFB Officer's Club had a Friday night special on prime rib. Steak with all the fixings for $5. Pitcher of beer for $5. That was in the 1970s.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats for lunch/Supper!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I try to keep up with eating the tomatoes during the summer, but toward the end, they get away from me, and I suddenly have a big bucket of them. Its time for chili. Chop them up, cook 'em down for about 2 hours. Meanwhile, saute hamburger, green peppers and onions, dump them in. I'll admit, I usually do a jalapeno or two, because Mrs (WA) and I both like it a little on the hot side (but not 5 alarm!). Bunch of beans, chili power, cumin, and oregano to taste.

Great eating- Has a fresh taste that you don't get with canned tomatoes. We freeze the extra, usually makes about 3 meals.

Tip when you're simmering any tomato based stuff- its real easy to scorch on the bottom of the pot. Cut 4 pieces of baling wire, put them crossways on the burner- it keeps the pot just high enough off the burner that it won't scorch. Talking about electric range, of course.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.