Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unemployment

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last spring we had a kid drive our truck to the quarry to get lime to spread on the fields. Not long after he started(7 to 10 days) he told me he was going to work construction. I thanked him for his help (not sure of hrs.but not many for sure) and paid him & on he went. Recently the unemployment board contacted us & said we were responsible for part of his claim. Ended up we paid $400 to unemployment for a $190 labor bill. Wonder why folks have a hard time finding work I would guess this kind of abuse has something to do with it.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would contest that amount. It is usually a prorated amount base on the time/money he made while working for you.

Here you need a minimum of 17 weeks to draw unemployment. He must have worked the weeks doing construction so that person/company should be the one to foot the largest part of the bill.

Here the rate 6.5% of wages paid. It is base on the average in your work group for a given years. Example they average all farm workers and come up with the rate. So it would have been about $12.35 for unemployment.

ricb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's what we thought and we did contest it and lost in the full amount. It is paid and done....but still feel cheated in a way.

DBAF
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow you paid $190 for 7-10 days I wonder why he found another job?

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As JD says that is the case most every state. Contest the amount and I'll bet it is either removed or really lowered.

ricb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was just a part time thing. About 12 hrs total. Not upset about other job just big unemployment bill. The actual bill was $5 per week but duration was 80 weeks.

Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe, next time sign them on as 'contract labor' and give them a 1099 at end of year.

tomNE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

which State? anyone who works on my farm is contract labor and gets a 1099 if they make over $600 which i watch closely. if the job is about done, i've been known to pay cash for the last little bit over $600!

ricb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great state of NY. If I would have know what was coming would have paid cash for the work.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bigger issue is that he left voluntarily- here, you have to be fired or laid off to get unemployment.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you with hold the SS out of his check and pay your half of his SS.
If not he should have been considered a contract employee.
Since he made under $600 you did not even need a 1099 form.

Also if you did not treat him as a employee and with hold his SS; unemployment considers him an employee; Now you can wait for the knock on the door from SS.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here you can quit one job; go to a second and get laid off and collect from both of them.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think here in NY, you have to work at the same job for a certen number of weeks, forgot how manythan have no work, laid off, to be able to collect unemployment!, I have never collected it, but my brother gets it from me over the winter.

ricb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All was done legit with withholdings and all. Payroll done by pay hex and watched closely. Turns out you don't have to be laid off to collect. I was always under impression you couldn't quit & collect. Turns out I was wrong.

huntingreen2day2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: unemployment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am in Tn and had one work 4 hours for me and did not come back the next day. Filed unemployment a few months later when he lost his full time job. They came back on me but there must have been enough in the pool to cover it because I never made any extra payments.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.