Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

chopper model

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spink885
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What chopper would work on a jd 730D? Would be doing
about 5-10 acres of corn on flat land. Thanks for any ideas.

NY 986
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're talking chopper as in a forage (silage) harvester? A 1 row machine is all you would want. As far as brands go you have many choices as most manufacturers made good machines. Parts availability would make me shy away from an Allis Chalmers, Massey Ferguson, or Gehl for example. If this is to be like a demo day where you want something contemporary to the tractor then maybe a JD 12 or International Harvester 16. The AC or Gehl would be fine if a very good machine could be found where repairs would be far off. I like the successor to the IH 16 which is the 50 which Dad still has. The easiest to find would most likely to be a New Holland 717 or Super 717 or a Deere 35 and those can be bought reasonable with less issues on parts.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like NY 986 says, look for a 1 row and one that parts are available for. Fox had a good reputation for low power needs, but parts are getting to be something of an issue with them. The good part of that is, you can pick up a parts machine for scrap price (sometimes less). I've pulled a 1 row Fox 2250 with a Ford 4600 (rated 52 pto hp, about the same as a 730, I think) with no problem.

spink885
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This would be for personal use. Use to run a nh 717 with a JD 3020 so was thinking that. I pretty much wanted a NH or JD. Was thinking like a 717 or a jd 35/38 but was unsurre about the 38 as only been around a 3800. Thanks guys.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Having tried to farm with a 730 diesel as my main tractor,I'd advise you to go with something with a belt drive to absorb the shock. If you go with a direct drive with that two cylinder hammering away under load,you'll beat the tar out of U-joints,couplers,splines,everything else in the driveline.
Voice of experience.

long green line man
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ideally a JD no.8 or no.6 ,single row, belt drive, would work good.... a newer 34 or 35 would work if you can find one with a single row head.! but they are direct drive to cutter head..

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I once pulled a IH #55(2 row) chopper with my 730.2nd gear. Blowed BLACK BLACK smoke,burned 5 gallons fuel per hr,(2 was normal).The guys are right.You need to find a one row.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anything your heart desires that has it's own engine to power the chopper...

Rod

ss55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a dumb question, how well does it work to run just one row of corn into a two row chopper when power is limited? Opening fields would be more difficult.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not too bad if your depth perception is good enough to keep the outside snout on the row... It can be a challenge sometimes.

Rod

sammydwm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Despite all the naysayers here I have run a couple of different 2 row choppers behind similar tractors.
We chopped 2 rows with an old Ford cut and throw behind a 720
We did 2 rows with a Case 300 cut and throw behind a case 800.

IHr190
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper model Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last we filled silo in'07, I had a tired Deere 38 with a one row head. I had a 400 Case standard (gas) pulling it. It did the job, but barely. Like the others have said, corn crops are much heavier than back in the day. I would stick with a belt drive, and one row head in todays crops. Namely if a 730, or any 55-60 hp tractor is going to be the power source. I would think a Deere 34/35, or an older Gehl chop-all with a flat belt.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.