Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear mounted loaders, your thoughts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Rod
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Rear mounted loaders, your thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the last several years I have been seeing more and more larger tractors, 100~200hp tractors, at dealerships with rear mounted loaders. Is there much of a difference in weight distribution and handling when using these compared to front mounted loaders? Because of the configuration can they lift more weight, being over the beefier rear axle?

Last question; being that the operator faces the rear are these dedicated loader tractors or can they still be used for fieldwork, utility, anything else?

Always been curious......

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted loaders, your thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think what you're refering to is a 'bidirectional' tractor.The seat swivels to run foreward or backward.They run backward as a loader,swather....They can run foreward to do normal 'tractor work'.

rabbit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted loaders, your thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone still make "bidirectional tractors"?

Last ones I saw were made by Versatile, and they're not around anymore.

Joshua Rod
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted loaders, your thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are there controls and steering columns in front and back then? Driving through the lots, maybe I haven't noticed.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted loaders, your thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is just one set of controls/seat on a rotating base. Bidirectionals are now being made by Ford/New Holland

hd6gtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted loaders, your thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Joshua, There used to be several around central Iowa. These are loaders that mount to the 3 point arms. Most of them I saw were used in feedlots loading or feeding silage. It has been 30 years since I was around 1, I don't remember how they operated. Everyone I knew liked them.

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted loaders, your thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The rear mounted loaders are popular on big tractors as they are easy to mount, can be shared between multiple tractors easily without brackets and fairly good visibility on big tractors vs a front loader.

They need large tractors for useful lift ratings. Small tractors don't weigh enough.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted loaders, your thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the deal with the Case/ NH merger, I believe the bi-directionals got sold off to Buhler along with the Ford 4x4 line.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.