Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lazy people

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Shafer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have an old oak tree. That we had to cut down at my moms house. Guy comes by ask if he can have the wood.Told him I had to check with my sister and see if she still wanted it. She said no don"t want it. So I call the guy back. He wants me to split it load it and bring it to him. All for free. Told him that ain"t gonna happen. You want it come get it.Just can"t believe some people.

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Know what you mean. Last year I had an old oak that one limb split off and peeled a strip off the tree about 4" thick from there to the ground. This left it heavy on the side which was near the power line, so the power company had a crew take it down for me. I knew the folks across the hollow from me used wood so I asked them if they cold use it. Sure! Well they cut what they wanted, left the main trunk of the tree and left limbs and chunks of bark all over the yard. I moved quite a bit, but I was afraid to mower parts of the yard. I know I really should say something to them, but I am afraid that I may lose mt temper and things will get ugly.

Richard from SE AZ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I advertized in a local rag that I had 7 good bicycles that I was giving away to anyone who wanted them. I got a call from about 100 miles away and the guy said he would take them. Then he proceeded to give me his address and asked me if I could get them to him the next day.

da.bees
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't say as I blame them. Very possiably 2nd or 3rd generation of recieving ever thing they need without lifting a finger to earn it. No need to change now.

GeneMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I needed to thin deer about 10 years ago, and I wanted to shoot several, but didn't have time to process them, so I decided to call in on the local party line radio. One lady called back and said, yes, she would take them. I told here I would kill the deer, gut it and they could pick it up at my shop, hanging. She about fainted. She said she didn't have any way to pick it up and wondered if I could deliver it to her freezer.

Needless to say, she didn't get a deer.

Gene

markiz41
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put a nominal price on it and watch people act more responsibly. When they figure it's a gift from God, they just sit back and wait for it to rain down on them.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ShadetreeRet wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:57:42 02/17/13) Know what you mean. Last year I had an old oak that one limb split off and peeled a strip off the tree about 4" thick from there to the ground. This left it heavy on the side which was near the power line, so the power company had a crew take it down for me. I knew the folks across the hollow from me used wood so I asked them if they cold use it. Sure! Well they cut what they wanted, left the main trunk of the tree and left limbs and chunks of bark all over the yard. I moved quite a bit, but I was afraid to mower parts of the yard. I know I really should say something to them, but I am afraid that I may lose mt temper and things will get ugly.

I guess I don't know the whole story, but you didn't say all or nothing. They did save you quite a bit of work with anything they did take. When most people take down a tree they usually have a fire right there to burn the bark and small limbs. What do you think they should have done?

GlenIdaho
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They should have shown their gratitude by doing a little clean up. That"s being a good neighbor.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree, "free" does seem to bring out the idiots of the world. Around here you need razor wire to keep the thieves from stealing wood that can be seen from the road, no ad needed.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few years back I sold timber out of my woods. A fellow stopped by and said he would like to clean up the tops for me. I said sure you can if you cut it on the halves. I will bring a wagon back and when you cut and split put half on your truck and the other half on my wagon. He said sure. A month or so later his wife called and talked to Dixie and thought we were being unfair asking for half of what they cut. She told her she would have to come over and talk to me. The tops are still laying in the woods making a place for rabbits and squirrels and all is fair.

IHRedRules
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a more positive story. Last fall, I heard that a local older person wanted a walnut tree removed from their yard. I"m just getting into woodworking, so I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to help them, and help build my lumber pile. So I get a few helpers (on shares), procure a loader tractor w/ operator, get the tree down and the trunks loaded. All limbs were hauled to a nice pile outback where they were going to burn them this winter. Then I raked the yard. I like to think that we left the yard looking so clean, that it looked like nothing had happened. From second hand sources, it sounds like the landowner is as happy as a clam and I think both sides benefitted.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where you at?

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see ads all the time for free or very inexpensive firewood from all the residential areas around here, as well as many tree jobs advertised, and or similar.

There were some folks offering mobile cutting and splitting services, including clean up, reasonable too.

I do not like handling wood any more than necessary, job like that, likely some large diameter logs and or depending on the oak, could be real gnarly, though most are tall and straight grained, thinking worst case scenario, you need a way to cut or split so you can at least handle it, some people bite off more than they can chew.

If I were equipped to handle wood eliminating the hand labor for the most part having a truck mounted grapple, I'd be all for going after wood easily accessible, I do it all the time in the neighborhood here, even smaller wood from tops or the whole darned tree. When on someone else's property, its just common sense, to be neat and orderly, remove all useable wood, pile neatly what is not of use for the town to remove or find a home for it, then 1 pass with the rake, in gratitude for the wood, and knowing the person obviously wants it gone, a little clean up and being neat takes very little extra effort. Sometimes they're fine with just taking the big stuff, they'll rake up, all a person has to do is ask what they would prefer.

People are odd, its just common sense to be neat and not leave or make a mess, but some just don't get it. I see in those ads very desirable wood, like black cherry, oak, maple, why not be neat.

I'd advertise the wood, state what is necessary if someone wants it, don't make a mess, don't wander around the place, come get the wood, remove all, pile small diameter brush or remove too as part of the deal and be diligent about it, otherwise, forget it.

Oak, around here, would be gone quickly.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

some people are just amazing, makes you wonder how they got as old as they are without getting run over by a bus,that kind of guy must have been tended by his mommy until age 40 if i was offered a free load of oak, id be there the next day or 2 if you wanted to see me id bring my small dump truck wood splitter and saw and clean it up, if not it bring the dumptruck, and my winch truck and trailer drag the whole thing on, the trailer throw the brush on the dumptruck and be gone

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heck, two big old dead pine trees on the line between mine and the neighbor's yard blew over in a recent windstorm. I'm trying to get ahold of them to offer to clean it up, or at least help.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.