Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on a JOY Pull Behind Compressor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott(MO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Question on a JOY Pull Behind Compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,
Recently I bought a late 70's JOY Pull Behind Compressor. When I looked at it at the shop that I bought it from, it ran good but was cold natured. After I got it home, I went to start it up and it started right up. The problem is that it died and began to puke oil out the Air Breather. Anybody ever experince this?

Bert g

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on a JOY Pull Behind Compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be one of three things. Not setting level. Plugged separater element. Return line plugged.

Dalex
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on a JOY Pull Behind Compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember that symptom in the fleet we had , The seperater is a good place to start.Drain the water out of the hyd tank, I think you pull a sensor to get to the lowest spot Those are great compressors, parts are handled by Sullair , but Baldwin filters makes the seperater if you want to save $100 ....

XRogerX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on a JOY Pull Behind Compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A small correction. I believe Sullivan, not Sullair, took over the Joy portable line.

I took a pretty good oil bath from a Joy shop compressor once when it shut down on overload with the inlet valve wide open. It sounds like your machine may be similarly shutting down due to a fault. The very first thing I would check is the thermal mixing valve, as it will cause the compressor to shut down on over temperature, even if it is cold outside. I would also check for a plugged fuel filter if it dies slowly, or lacks power.

Is this a screw or a vane?

If this is running an old 2-stroke Detroit, make sure there is some provision to cut off the air to the motor, as the compressor end can spin the motor backwards at shutdown and cause a reverse-rotation runaway condition under some circumstances.

I"m not sure what you mean by "cold natured". Every portable compressor should be left to idle for awhile when they are started cold, not just for the usual reasons, but there may be ice in the separator and controls which should be given time to melt.

Scott(MO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on a JOY Pull Behind Compressor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. The compressor engine is a IH 4 cyl with a rotory screw (I think). I've ordered a manual for it, but haven't gotten it yet. I started it again and let it warm up for about 15-20 minutes and when I engaged the loader valve (I think that's what it is called, it ran good and then when I turn it back it died, but it didn't puke any oil this time. I started back up and it ran fine after that with no problems.
It's a little low on oil so I need to get some oil in it before I run anymore. What oil do you suggest for the screw unit?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.