Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank (N.Mi.)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I just had a third torch quit working on me in about the last six months. The last two were just the basic twenty dollar units as found in TSC. The other was one of the more costly ones though. None of them will last more then a couple months of just occasional homeowner use. Flame won"t stay lit...What does a guy have do to get one that works?

kevinj54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you need to clean the orfice

Rick in Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

try a different brand of gas tanks.i had same problem years ago and it was the gas i was buying

Joe W.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the most basic propane torch and the flame doesn't always stay lit as you have experienced usually during cold weather. When the tank is cold, the propane just sits in the bottom of the tank and won't hiss at the torch tip. I solve the problem by bringing the propane tank into my kitchen sink and letting the steel tank sit in hot water for a while. After the tank warms up the gas is, well, gassier and it lights and stays lit. There is probably a safety issue with heating the propane tank in my kitchen sink but it's not the only risk I have taken in my lifel

WAYNE-N-TX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bite the bullet and buy a good one, I've already tried the El-cheap-O's, Trash!!

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a bernzomatic TS4000 for about 6 years and have had zero trouble with it using maybe two tanks a year. It was close to $50 with a tank of fuel. I have started using the short fat tanks so it isnt as tipsy, that being my only complaint.

Bud in WV
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try a Turbo Torch - not cheap but they work. First one I had lasted 25 years. The replacement has been going for 6 years now.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Soldering-Torches-10155000

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got one at the Greeley Farm Show from a guy who sells a specialized solder. It is for Mapp Gas and cost around eighty dollars. Don't remember who it is made by. Seems to work.

D beatty
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The torch that you get from TSC you did take it back ? Their torchs carry a 1 year warranty and the torchs from ACE harsware are the same.

armand tatro
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In real cold weather I have set them on the deforster tube in the pickup to warm them up so they would work. Armand

KIP in MX
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought one with several nozzles when I lived in Mexico that has a hose for a propane (BBQ) bottle. Not handy for small jobs but works great for copper pipe and heating stuff. I have an old Bernzomatic for the little cylinders that must be 30 yrs old and always works good.
Just like most tools, it seems like the old stuff last forever and the new is cheap and fails in a short time.

Bill in IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would put my vote on that TS4000 too. Great torch lights every time I pull the trigger. I use mine on MAPP gass or whatever variation of MAPP they put in the yellow bottles nowadays.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Butch(OH) wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:30:06 02/18/13) I have a bernzomatic TS4000 for about 6 years and have had zero trouble with it using maybe two tanks a year. It was close to $50 with a tank of fuel. I have started using the short fat tanks so it isnt as tipsy, that being my only complaint.

I have this Bernzomatic and it doesn't work very well anymore.

How do you clean the oriface? I have shot air in from both ends and sprayed it with brake cleaner and nothing.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/681071994812997715?hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&sclient=psy-ab&q=bernzomatic&oq=bernzomatic+&gs_l=serp.3...8291.8291.1.8469.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c.1.4.psy-ab.bfwhsodMxKY&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42661473,d.aWc&biw=1366&bih=650&wrapid=tlif136131359144810&sa=X&ei=Rf8jUYaJO4iZyAGl3oDgBw&ved=0CIkBEPMCMAg

GeneMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all propane torches these days pieces of crap?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All of the cheap ones I have ever had will light when pointed downward, but as soon as you set it up, it goes out. Or it will go out as soon as you try to increase the flame.

Gene

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.