Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step up from 850?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan C in Maine

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Step up from 850? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an 850 with front loader, loaded tires and chains. It has
been extremely reliable and is a real work horse. Everything
works as it should, and aside from normal maintenance, the
tractor has needed no work. I use it on my wood lot for
maintaining my roads, keeping up several 1 acre food plots,
and logging.

Since I am using the 850 with a logging winch in the deep
woods for the majority of its running hours, I really should have
a rops (and fops too for that matter) and would certainly
appreciate power steering.

Adding a rops/fops would run about a grand, and that price tag
got me thinking. Should I put money into the 850 or would it
make more sense to sell it, and with the proceeds and the
money I would have spent on adding extras to the 850 , step
up to a model that already has the extras.

I really like the stability and functionality of my 850, but
theoretically, if I were going to step up, what would be a good
model to look for, given the use I described?

Vito
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Step up from 850? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A tractor friend once told me the more modern the tractor the more can go wrong and costs a lot more to repair.

Vito

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Step up from 850? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might look for one of the industrial x000 series with a ROPS.
A low center of gravity version might server you well for your use too.
Similar to this one that George recently "stole". 4110
Some of the industrial versions were made without 3 pt though, so watch for that.
On the other hand, sometimes the devil you know beats the devil you don't.
I have tractors here that I have more into than they'll ever be worth.
Except when I turn the key in sub-zero temperatures to plow snow.
When they start, like I know they will, they're worth every penny.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Step up from 850? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4110 is really just a 3000 with a little bit larger gas engine - 192 vs 158 ci.

Dan C in Maine

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Step up from 850? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a good point. The 850 has been incredibly reliable. It's
never not started, no matter how cold, and, within the limits of
how I use it, it's never not moved what I hook it to.

And, I know the machine very well, so my comfort level is
high.

Perhaps adding a rops is a beter choice in the long run.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Step up from 850? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

by the time you figure rops AND ps upgrade.. I bet you that you are in for 1500-2000$

might be cheaper to find a machine with all that stuff already.

if you don't want to loose any HP.. you will have to step up to a 4xxx+ model in the 3 cyl series.. or a 8xx/4000 4 cyl witht hat stuf already attached.

look thru the adds and see what the prices of loader tractors with rops and ps are then compair.

dan in maine
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Step up from 850? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Think I"ll price things out and see what makes the most sense in the pocketbook.

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Step up from 850? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 4600 which was a farm tractor on a larger frame than your current one. Had PS and a solid canopy over the dr. station which served as a ROPS. 200 cu in 3 cyl diesel, independent PTO. Bought it for $6000 and served me well.

Mark

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.