Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my rear end apart on my m (pic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdetig1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Got my rear end apart on my m (pic) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I tore the rear end down found 5 teeth chipped on one bull gear and teeth chipped on the pinion shaft that drives it. So I got those off eBay this morning. Took all the bearings out and all of them are perfectly fine gonna re use them. Putting new seals in and putting it back together. Having a heck of a time getting the axle back through the bull gear. Left the wheel on mite end up taking that off yet to get the axle back through bull gear

LMack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my rear end apart on my m (pic) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say that you are going to take that wheel off.

sgtbull
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my rear end apart on my m (pic) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HOLY COW! You're going to get oil ALL OVER your ceiling!

Cjet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my rear end apart on my m (pic) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We bought a Farmall M that had a broken bull gear and it had pushed the broken tooth thru the bottom of the gear case. I would inspect the case under the bull gear before reassembly.

armand tatro
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my rear end apart on my m (pic) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One fall we had a broken axel on the 400 out in the field with the 2MHD mounted corn picker on. Took the live PTO assy off and removed the broken stub axel from the bull gear with a porta-power jack working thru the PTO mounting hole in the casing. Lifting that bull gear and lining up the splines to get the new axel thru the hole in the bull gear was a bit of a challenge! Doing all that work with the top cover off would be a piece of cake! By the way we pushed 2 6X6 blocks of wood into the ground before the 8 ton bottle jack stared to lift the rear housing. Started about 10 in the mourning and was back picking just after 3 in the afternoon. Three of us working on it. Have fun! Armand

leon
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Got my rear end apart on my m (pic) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Escaped me for a minute 'till I scrolled back and looked at pictures. Thanks for starting my day with a smile.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Got my rear end apart on my m (pic) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At least the gears will fall right out once you get them unbolted.

Duner Wi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Got my rear end apart on my m (pic) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a peek at the pinion carrier too. Crack can be not very obvious.

Dave Sherburne NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Got my rear end apart on my m (pic) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like my grandson's except his wheels are on the bottom

Jason the Red
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my rear end apart on my m (pic) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hang onto that grille!!! It looks to be in pretty good shape.

dej(Jed)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Got my rear end apart on my m (pic) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stop speed shifting it and double clutch it between 4 and 5th.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.