Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Painting questions on 494A corn planter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shane-o-mac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Painting questions on 494A corn planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey folks im trying to restore a 494A 4 row JD corn planter for parades. Im in need of some help on how to go about painting the packer wheels. i got the wheel frames sand blasted and the wheels have rubber for packing. My question is what would be the best way to keep the paint off of the inside rubber because i dont want to paint the rubber. Like where the two frames come togther. it would be ok to tape it but there would be alot of little tape chunks. because theres little iron bars that comes down to the wheel. ill post a picture of what i got. Also another idea is like using grease or something or soap but im not exactly sure. I thought i would ask some of you guys what your ideas might be? Let me know thanks!

BobV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting questions on 494A corn planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shane: I have restored a John Deere 246-247 with press wheels, like yours only a liitle larger. What I did was take metal straps, force them between the rubber tread and the metal wheel, it took 8 straps, to get the tread separated, once that is done slide the tread slowly one side at a time lubing it didn't help me. Once the paintings done they slide on fairly easy.

shane-0-mac
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting questions on 494A corn planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so like cut up a pop can and use that ? you mean or you got pictures of what you had ?

shanehnsn
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting questions on 494A corn planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

and you done this in the center i got the outside figured out on how to cover that i can do tape on that ?

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Painting questions on 494A corn planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shane-o-mac,

I bought 14 of those planters one year and painted them up after making 2-row planters out of them. If you lift the rubber up off the wheel make sure you blow out any sand that may be in between the two. I never worried about keeping the paint off the inside of the rubber like you are mentioning. But I would apply some plumbers grease with a paint brush to the inside rubber. This will wash off with a garden hose after the paint is dry. I think it will save you a lot of time and headache. I always set my press wheels up with a rod thru them and positioned the rod on two jack stands. This way they can rotated while you're painting them. Be sure to turn your spray gun down on volume not on the air side but liquid side. You'll have a lot of spots that will be hit twice or more due to the small areas you'll have to paint. Just my experience.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters